Sign in to follow this  

Laughable motorcycle mishaps?

The question of first bikes jogged my memory and got to thinking about my first bike and some of the many crash episodes as a rookie (still comfortable calling myself that).

Anyhow, thought I would tell about the time I rode to the neighbors to see if he wanted to ride (I`m 12 yr old, `79 DS100).

His father was hosing/washing down the driveway with a garden hose and the drive was slightly/fairly sloped.

Friend was not home or busy but I visited for a few minutes with the dad (he was a avid off road rider too). 

When it come time to leave I threw a leg over and went to kick start the bike, my feet wet/slippery, foot slipped off the kick start and kick start went up my pant leg.....sloped driveway, kick start on the downhill side, and foot/leg captured by the kick start. I went over with the bike laying on me in front of the dad. Boy did he ever get a good laugh from that, and did I get a ribbing for some time.  :lol:  He remarked something the only stationary crash he ever witnessed..or something to that effect.

Could not have been as bad as my cousins story though when after picking up his first street bike and riding with friends; they stopped to fuel up and he said the pride and excitement of his new machine he dismounted without putting the side stand down :lol:

How about you? Anything besides leaving a exhaust plug in?

• Like 3

Pulled up beside my buddy on the trail do there was 3of us it a line I put my foot down only to find a rut and fall over taking all 3 of us down like dominoes.

• Like 7

My friends all laugh at me because I rarely fall and am as fast as any if them but the stopping, standing around, getting on, getting off, I drop my bike at least 2 times a ride like this. And it's not like I'm short either. I'm 6'1" and I still knock my bike over.

Or the riding boots trip. I have zero off bike balance.

• Like 1

Allot of my funnys happened when I was from about 12 to 15 yo.

My buddy ran out of gas on the track and he asked me to bring him some gas. I accidentally brought him his straight gas instead of mixed.....top and bottom end ruined.  Not really my fault but he still thinks I did it on purpose. We have a good laugh at it now.

I once saw same buddy loose both tennis shoes on a back yard whiskey throttle mishap. I was in tears it was so funny...we had girls over and he was trying to show off.

He also dropped his dads gold wing onto his moms corolla in the garage while screwing around, it took every bit of both of us to get that monster upright. Then we polished on the corolla for a few hours.

• Like 2

Allot of my funnys happened when I was from about 12 to 15 yo.

My buddy ran out of gas on the track and he asked me to bring him some gas. I accidentally brought him his straight gas instead of mixed.....top and bottom end ruined.  Not really my fault but he still thinks I did it on purpose. We have a good laugh at it now.

I once saw same buddy loose both tennis shoes on a back yard whiskey throttle mishap. I was in tears it was so funny...we had girls over and he was trying to show off.

He also dropped his dads gold wing onto his moms corolla in the garage while screwing around, it took every bit of both of us to get that monster upright. Then we polished on the corolla for a few hours.

My cousin thought it was cool to smoke the tire on MY! first ever street bike. I told the jackwad, it would eventually get away from him...and it did!

No harm to my bike fortunately, and it was much heavier / harder for him to pick up than he had imagined. Early `801s GS 650E..lol

BTW- different cousin than the one who forgot side stand.

A few years ago I was pushing my bike up the ramp into the back of my truck.  As the bike came to a stop, I thought my son was reaching for the bars, so I could grab a strap.  Well apparently he thought the same, and neither one of us held the bike.  It fell over, and the bars went outside the bed of the truck, with the clutch pivot bolt make a nice gouge down the side of the bed.  We looked at each other and started laughing.  I picked the bike up and assumed the same thing again; as did he.  It made a really nice second gouge. 

Edited by WALKINGWOUNDED
  • Like 4

I just a couple months ago, loaded my bike, I knew my straps are old.

But hey, they're ancra's.

I strap down the bike to the trailer, start loading gear and "pow!"

Turned around and find my bike laying on its side!

I'm laughing my butt off trying to figure out what happened.

Strap broke!

Bent the fender down on the wheel. So after getting the bike back up and restrapped, I proceed fixing the trailer fender.

I feel I was "lucky", it didn't happen going down the road.

• Like 1

I just a couple months ago, loaded my bike, I knew my straps are old.

But hey, they're ancra's.

I strap down the bike to the trailer, start loading gear and "pow!"

Turned around and find my bike laying on its side!

I'm laughing my butt off trying to figure out what happened.

Strap broke!

Bent the fender down on the wheel. So after getting the bike back up and restrapped, I proceed fixing the trailer fender.

I feel I was "lucky", it didn't happen going down the road.

That had so much more potential.......whew!

• Like 2

I remember an older gentleman in England had a story about a mishap with his old bike he'd had for a long time.

He pulled up at an intersection one morning and just fell over, just keeled over on the road. Some people rushed out of a nearby salon to help, it looked like he'd had a heart attack. To their surprise he got right up and pulled the bike back up onto the wheels, cursing away to himself. Of course everybody was asking if he was ok and he had to explain that he'd had a side car on the bike for the last 10 years and only took it off last night. Forgot that he needed to use his leg when he came to a stop.

• Like 10

That had so much more potential.......whew!

After witnessing this happen to a friend before, that's why I purchased ancra straps.

He used cheap straps, and lost his Honda off his trailer going down the road, a car almost hit his bike.

The bike was mangled pretty bad.

I bought ancra straps with each bike I bought new in 80's and 90's.

Sadly, now my straps are old and well maybe, obviously rotten.

I will be buying new straps as soon as I can find a local shop selling ancra.

So far all I've found is Chinese crap I wouldn't trust to hold a bicycle.

I remember an older gentleman in England had a story about a mishap with his old bike he'd had for a long time.

He pulled up at an intersection one morning and just fell over, just keeled over on the road. Some people rushed out of a nearby salon to help, it looked like he'd had a heart attack. To their surprise he got right up and pulled the bike back up onto the wheels, cursing away to himself. Of course everybody was asking if he was ok and he had to explain that he'd had a side car on the bike for the last 10 years and only took it off last night. Forgot that he needed to use his leg when he came to a stop.

awesome!
  • Like 3

After witnessing this happen to a friend before, that's why I purchased ancra straps.

He used cheap straps, and lost his Honda off his trailer going down the road, a car almost hit his bike.

The bike was mangled pretty bad.

I bought ancra straps with each bike I bought new in 80's and 90's.

Sadly, now my straps are old and well maybe, obviously rotten.

I will be buying new straps as soon as I can find a local shop selling ancra.

So far all I've found is Chinese crap I wouldn't trust to hold a bicycle.

Was it the sun? All the straps I've left in the sun just turn into powdery crap.

My friend bought a brand new kx250 08 still in the crate,spend hrs putting it all together,then loaded it on the trailer,this trailer had cut outs in the frame for the front tire to slot into and a thick cable looped between the gap to hold the tire,so he's cruising down the highway and hears a bang and a strange noise,pulls over to find,the front wheel jumped the cable and fell off the back and dragged it about 100 meters down the road,his brand new never ridden bike had a huge dent in the fatty and one side of his plastics ruined and his swing arm looked like someone had spent 2 day filling down a piece of it lol

Now when we see him with straps we take them off him and remind him what happened last time he tried to strap a bike down and then all laugh as he gets angry and shouts at us haha

• Like 4

One of my others would be riding the 440!

At haspin acres trail riding.

This bike had no power valve, when it decided to clear its throat it launched in to its awesome power hit!

So I'm riding down the trail and grabbed a hand full of throttle, it stumbled a bit, I get to a muddy crossing and once again grabbed a handful of throttle, the bike literally launched, I cleared the mud hole and landed still on the pipe wheeled up into the trees, setting down just before hitting a tree, I shut the bike off to regroup.

Some dude on a quad setting at the bottom, yelled that was awesome, you literally didn't even touch the ground for 10'.

He proceeded to ask what I hit to jump.

I was laughing and replied my throttle!

This was the only bike I've had that would rip me off the seat when on the pipe. Its seen a lot of ghost riding.

• Like 7

My friend bought a brand new kx250 08 still in the crate,spend hrs putting it all together,then loaded it on the trailer,this trailer had cut outs in the frame for the front tire to slot into and a thick cable looped between the gap to hold the tire,so he's cruising down the highway and hears a bang and a strange noise,pulls over to find,the front wheel jumped the cable and fell off the back and dragged it about 100 meters down the road,his brand new never ridden bike had a huge dent in the fatty and one side of his plastics ruined and his swing arm looked like someone had spent 2 day filling down a piece of it lol

Now when we see him with straps we take them off him and remind him what happened last time he tried to strap a bike down and then all laugh as he gets angry and shouts at us haha

Its funny, unless its yours.

Lmbo

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is exactly laughable or not....maybe when I look back on it in 10 years or so...

Just recently I was rding with my sons on some gravel backroads.  We met up with a group of younger guys whom my sons knew.  The one kid for whatever reason wanted to race my 300 with his rm-125.  We had lined up for a drag race, went blasting down the road and were topping a hill (well I was topping a hill....he was already 400 yards behind me...lol).  As I top the hill I see my youngest son adjacent to the right side of the roadway facing away from me.   Since last season I have been constantly nagging and correcting him for not looking or shoulder checking when making crossing left turns.  He also has not learned to hold his line when riding in a group and I've been constantly on him for that....

As I topped the hill horror overcame me as I could see that he was dropping into gear and beginning to shift his weight to the left.  At this point I'm still 5th gear pinned at 83mph and rapidly bearing down on him.  I begin to feel sick as in classic fashion he begins riding left while still looking right.  It's all happening in an instant, but I can see it all unfolding in my mind's eye.  As he begins accelerating I literally did this type of calculation wherein I was actually able to visualize "if he speeds up any more we will collide, but if he holds his current velocity I can avoid him".  Thankfully, as if someone was watching out for us, he holds his rate of speed, and as I come onto the binders and start pulling down to my left, while pushing the bars right, I am able to get the bike to manuever slightly left.....our lines are now perfectly perpendicular and he is still looking straight ahead as the tip of my right footpeg comes within literally inches of kissing the leading edge of his front tire.  I'm sure all he must have seen was a flash as I enter into his left peripheral.  As I pass him it feels like the slow motion frame suddenly goes back to real time.   As I glance down I see 72mph still staring back at me from the speedo.  My son is safe but I'm still at speed with no chance of getting back onto the road.  Luckily there was essentially no ditch and I was able to take it to a feild not fraught with obstacles.  

I'm still haunted when I replay this in my mind.  He seems to have a better grasp now of why I've been preaching all this shoulder check and hold you line business.  I think dad learned something that day too :thumbsup:  So not exactly laughable, but maybe make a good wedding reception toast story one day.....

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 9

I'm not sure if this is exactly laughable or not....maybe when I look back on it in 10 years or so...

Just recently I was rding with my sons on some gravel backroads.  We met up with a group of younger guys whom my sons knew.  The one kid for whatever reason wanted to race my 300 with his rm-125.  We had lined up for a drag race, went blasting down the road and were topping a hill (well I was topping a hill....he was already 400 yards behind me...lol).  As I top the hill I see my youngest son adjacent to the right side of the roadway facing away from me.   Since last season I have been constantly nagging and correcting him for not looking or shoulder checking when making crossing left turns.  He also has not learned to hold his line when riding in a group and I've been constantly on him for that....

As I topped the hill horror overcame me as I could see that he was dropping into gear and beginning to shift his weight to the left.  At this point I'm still 5th gear pinned at 83mph and rapidly bearing down on him.  I begin to feel sick as in classic fashion he begins riding left while still looking right.  It's all happening in an instant, but I can see it all unfolding in my mind's eye.  As he begins accelerating I literally did this type of calculation wherein I was actually able to visualize "if he speeds up any more we will collide, but if he holds his current velocity I can avoid him".  Thankfully, as if someone was watching out for us, he holds his rate of speed, and as I come onto the binders and start pulling down to my left, while pushing the bars right, I am able to get the bike to manuever slightly left.....our lines are now perfectly perpendicular and he is still looking straight ahead as the tip of my right footpeg comes within literally inches of kissing the leading edge of his front tire.  I'm sure all he must have seen was a flash as I enter into his left peripheral.  As I pass him it feels like the slow motion frame suddenly goes back to real time.   As I glance down I see 72mph still staring back at me from the speedo.  My son is safe but I'm still at speed with no chance of getting back onto the road.  Luckily there was essentially no ditch and I was able to take it to a feild not fraught with obstacles.  

I'm still haunted when I replay this in my mind.  He seems to have a better grasp now of why I've been preaching all this shoulder check and hold you line business.  I think dad learned something that day too :thumbsup:  So not exactly laughable, but maybe make a good wedding reception toast story one day.....

OMG. 

I have a scar on my right arm from a chainsaw. That's my reminder of 'the day dad nearly killed me'. I'm sure there is more than a few of those sort of close call stories out there. 

• Like 4

Was at a track in between sessions. I was distracted by my 5 yr old while I was refueling my bike and forgot to tighten my fuel cap. Went back out on the track and then went through a couple turns and a small double and then launched the biggest jump on the track. I was suddenly in a cloud of mist mid air and soaking wet. When I landed I got another wave of gasoline all over me and then had to go looking for my gas cap. Everyone that came by that saw me looking thought I ate it and was disoriented wandering around the track and I had to explain that I was just a dumb ass. Even worse was the minor chemical burn between my legs when I started riding again after I found my cap.

Lesson learned.

• Like 4

"The day dad nearly killed me" are the best stories....really adds another flavor to father and son relationships.

• Like 4

Was at a track in between sessions. I was distracted by my 5 yr old while I was refueling my bike and forgot to tighten my fuel cap. Went back out on the track and then went through a couple turns and a small double and then launched the biggest jump on the track. I was suddenly in a cloud of mist mid air and soaking wet. When I landed I got another wave of gasoline all over me and then had to go looking for my gas cap. Everyone that came by that saw me looking thought I ate it and was disoriented wandering around the track and I had to explain that I was just a dumb ass. Even worse was the minor chemical burn between my legs when I started riding again after I found my cap.

Lesson learned.

Dang! You're lucky you didn't light off....