Sign in to follow this  

Is this weird?

I started riding about 4 years ago at age 40. Shortly after, a friend who has ridden all of his life bought a dirt bike and we rode just about every weekend for almost 3 years. Toward the end of last year our ride expanded to 4 riders and I started to skip weekend group rides in favor of riding solo. They're all really good guys, we all ride at the same level and we all enjoy the same terrain, so it's not as if the "new guys" have soured me - I just enjoy riding alone. I ride at 90% and all of the same technical trails that I would in a group but I feel more comfortable and my riding seems more fluid without a pack.

Is this weird? Am I turning into a grumpy old antisocial bastard? Has anyone else in their mid-40's experienced this? Ya, ya - midlife crisis. HaHaHa. Seriously though ....

I'm a mid 50's grumpy old man and I like riding alone, except those "oh $hit" moments on new ground.

Mike

• Like 2

I would just say personal preference over weird.

Think I would prefer a friend or two, but more might be a `crowd`, ?

If I were riding solo then would think seriously to keep a cell phone handy somehow.

I'm in my 50's and ride alone a far bit but try to make the right judgement call as to where, when etc.

I enjoy the alone experience but overall most of my best rides have been riding with my crew of 2 other guy's (ones mid 30's other mid 40's).

We've got access to some amazing though VERY remote riding areas so safety in numbers for these trips.

My take is take is as ya get older, you get a better grasp on what you like/don't like and are less likely to compromise on these.

Regardless - I'm riding either solo or with mates until I'm too old to physically get on a bike

We still go on trips as a group - no one wants to be stranded alone whether lost, injured or broken down. Likewise my typical rides are on loops with relatively easy access via 4x4 and my cell phone is always handy.

It's good to know I'm not the only grizzly old bastard out there! Thanks for the re-assurance guys.

I am 66 years old, and find it increasingly more difficult to find riding partners.  The younger riders don't necessarily want an old duffer tagging along, and riders in my age group are thinning out.  Consequently, I find myself riding alone more and more.  It tempers the ride experience some, but I still enjoy riding so alone is better than not.  And... I admittedly find I have less patience now than when younger, so it is a kind of self exile.  I do however wish there were more opportunities to ride with others.

• Like 1

I started riding about 4 years ago at age 40. Shortly after, a friend who has ridden all of his life bought a dirt bike and we rode just about every weekend for almost 3 years. Toward the end of last year our ride expanded to 4 riders and I started to skip weekend group rides in favor of riding solo. They're all really good guys, we all ride at the same level and we all enjoy the same terrain, so it's not as if the "new guys" have soured me - I just enjoy riding alone. I ride at 90% and all of the same technical trails that I would in a group but I feel more comfortable and my riding seems more fluid without a pack.

Is this weird? Am I turning into a grumpy old antisocial bastard? Has anyone else in their mid-40's experienced this? Ya, ya - midlife crisis. HaHaHa. Seriously though ....

Yes I'm 43 next month I enjoy riding alone me the bike and the environment track or woods around farmland on my own property to its a stress relief.
  • Like 1

Yes I'm 43 next month I enjoy riding alone me the bike and the environment track or woods around farmland on my own property to its a stress relief.

I forgot to post this I was 10 miles from my house I could have used someone to start my bike but I started it I'm down 3 months at least.

1407008323588.jpg

I forgot to post this I was 10 miles from my house I could have used someone to start my bike but I started it I'm down 3 months at least.

That's rough. Injury is my biggest concern when riding alone. Good thing my KTM has an easy button. No need to kick it over. Edited by zderekv
  • Like 2

I never think about injuries especially whether riding solo or with a group. After being paralyzed for a month and many other biking injuries leaving me with several pieces of stainless and ti, injuries are always important to avoid. Keep that in mind you solo riders, stay within your comfort zone whether you are in a group or not. Being broken in half is only marginally better if you do it in front of your friends and dead is dead.

That said, I'm a notorious hermit with a group of friends I can count as less that ten. I still prefer to ride with a group ( meaning one or two other guys, BIG groups suck), it's fun to roost them!

Edited by sandlvr69
  • Like 3

$hit cas747, at 43, you're just a pup.

I have a hand that looked like that. Bike also, 30 years ago, never did heal right. Good luck with it.

Mike

• Like 1

I am a grumpy old duff .. but try to always ride with someone else along ..I go as far as providing a reliable bike fueled up and ready to go just for the insurance that at least one of us can go for help if hurt or to get my pickup to the closest point to drag a dead bike to. Some of the time where we ride we may be the only people that have been out there in months.

• Like 1

That's rough. Injury is my biggest concern when riding alone. Good thing my KTM has an easy button. No need to kick it over.

Bet you lube up the pipe and pound it every Friday as well #ktmnutthugger

Your an idiot
  • Like 2

Riding with group will improve your racing.  At least where I practice, because it forces me to follow set path instead of path of least resistance that I follow alone.

I'm just the opposite..... I'm still young at 34, but I enjoy the social aspect of riding.... I love laughing at each other when someone biffs it in the creek or launches their bike up a hill.... most of my riding buddies are in their mid 50s.....

Everyone has their own things they like when riding.... I like groups as long as everyone is on the same skill level.

some of the terrain I ride on, I would be afraid to push it in fear of smashing my bike and getting stranded or getting hurt a few miles from civilization. 

• Like 2

I'd rather ride with one or two friends, but definitely not a large group. It is always nice to have someone there to help out if you run into trouble along the way. 

Now if I was as childish as you I could easily say "The only thing I lube up is my pipe every time I pound it into your mom" but I'll take the high road.

Thanks for your response though, mate.

Edited by zderekv
  • Like 1

Last time I went to Croom, I started out at eh back of a pack of 12 guys.  All faster than me.  I kept them in sight, hanging back from the 2nd-slowest guy to avoid dust.  I tried to anticipate their course and cut-off to intercept, but lost them.

Later, I lead a pack of 6 on another ride.  I was still the slowest.  It was like riding by myself because I was in the lead.  They hung with me for 10 miles, and said that I was not holding them up at all.  I guess they didn't feel as comfortable leading because although they were all faster, I knew the trails better.

Now, all this is in a 6 square mile heavily wooded place with trails going in all directions every 10 feet.  Hit a bump and bounce to the left - pick that trail. Easier to do when you are leader.