Sign in to follow this  

very slight water pump leak

I'm breaking in my 2013' DR-Z400S and I have the slightest drip from the water pump that shows up on the little lip on the crankcase right below it.  Seems like it only does it when I pull hills (generating more heat and pressure in the system)   The bike only has about 60 miles on it.  First motorcycle with liquid cooling I've broken in.   Is this a normal break in issue, or does the pump need replaced.  (btw I can't tell where on the pump it is coming from, but there is no trace down the hose or anything above the pump that it is leaking down to the pump and dripping off so I'm pretty certain it's the pump itself).

The water pump seal is a carbon face seal just like ll cars.  They some times leak a little when new. Means nothing.  Ride it a few hundred miles, if the leak reduces, no worry.  If the leak increases, there can be several causes.  Most common is the ceramic disk behind the impeller is not sealing to the impeller (static seal). There is a simple fix for that but that source is not common with something so new.  

A few yeas back I replaced the water pump on my Toyota with an official Toyota replacement part.  The damn thing leaked from new for several thousand miles, then quit.  Perfect now.

Let the Dealer know , just in case it gets worse .

I did... I'm dropping it off tuesday morning for a different issue and they're gonna check it anyway, but for some reason it seems to have stopped now.   Haven't lost any coolant of noticeable amount.  Still looks like a full radiator.