Sign in to follow this  

Helmet visor repair tip

Just thought id post this for those who like to trash helmet visors often. A little repair trick I've used involving cotton balls and very thin super glue..

Super glue itself is great for repairing short cracks but for structural items it can be too brittle. I'm using the helmet visor tab as an example. After securing the tab in place with some thin instant glue, place a cotton ball into the surrounding material. drop some drips of glue onto the cotton ball and pack it in tight to the split using a disposable tool. When it dries that bond is greatly reinforced and in any case its usually stronger then new.

The technique can be used on lots of other items using different wicking materials. Sewing tread is great for wrapping a broken plastic part. Even felt can be used to back bigger cracks in items

*I recommend doing this outside because the chemicals in the glue do react to the cotton and can create some gasses that burn eyes and nose*

Hope this can help someone keep their gear in one piece :)

1406998161564.jpg

1406998172379.jpg

• Like 1

I like this idea. Its the same concept as how taping drywall seams gives them strength. I took a nice soil sample a while back and cracked the tab on my visor. It still stays put but I'll have to try this soon. Thanks for the tip!

Yea I feel its a common problem lol. I hope it helps! the glue I use is just a simple bottle of super glue from a local hobby store.. It does need to be the very thin 'water like' variety as it quickly penetrates cracks and fills spaces. Also dries in seconds.