Sign in to follow this  

First KTM, what do I need to know?

So I moved over to the "dark side" according to my friends, just picked up an 09 250sx that's been stored for the past couple years for a great price. Came with both the stock and pro circuit exhaust systems, v force reeds, oversized and stock gas tanks, devol skid plate, new OEM top end kit still in the box, and a new uninstalled graphics kit. Only issues with the bike is a shifter seal weeps a small bit of oil (he already had the part) and the right rad shroud is damaged from being dropped, both items will be replaced within the next few days.

What do I need to know about the KTM's coming from a YZ? This is my first one and I already love the power it has. I plan on doing the top end in the next 5-10 hours as a precautionary measure and it won't cost me anything but my time. Some of the spokes have a slight layer of rust on them, is this anything to worry about or can I clean them and put some spoke covers over them?

I will also be selling the acerbis oversized tank and OEM exhaust system in the near future if anybody is interested

1406998814742.jpg

Edited by nholden98

I just made the same move, but to a '14 250xc.  I would do the top end before you even ride it.  You have no idea how the guy used it or adjust stuff, etc.  

Not much else I can add.  Mine ran like shit for weeks until I got the Suzuki needle.  Watch those brakes, they are amazing.  I've put myself in the weeds a few times because the back end is off the ground alot now.  

• Like 1

I personally would change all the fluids... bleed the brakes, new radiator fluid, oil etc.  Check all the bearings, grease etc.  Check all bolts... locktite as many as possible.  Clean out the dust and forkseals.  You can download a KTM manual that tells you their suggestions as well etc.  Also, google your bike to find out what dirt rider and motocross action have discovered in their long term testing.  etc.

I just bought a 2011 KTM 450 SX-F and am in the process of doing all these things before my riding season.  I like the piece of mind of knowing that everything is fresh, and I can just enjoy the bike and simple maintenance.  WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE! lol  I just got my first KTM too.  I love it.  But, I would've been happy with any of the manufacturers.  I just got a good deal, and I love the electric start. :-)

I just got a good deal, and I love the electric start. :-)

Agreed!  I just kicked my bike for the first time today... and I have 13 hours on the meter.  I was thinking I'd take it off to save the weight, now I'm completely spoiled.

In the process of going through the bearings right now as well as doing the fluids. From the short 20 minutes I spent on it I loved it. Previous owner moved to DC and stored it in a barn for a couple years and only rode it a handful of times. He was a 250A woods rider so the maintenance seems to have been kept up well. So far so good!

Can someone please tell me which Suzuki needle that kingkabong is referring to and where I can purchase it? Thanks

Congrats and welcome to the "dark side".

On the non link ktms it's important to make sure your chain is adjusted correctly and not over tightened. Or you will have the shaft seal leak no matter how many times you replace the orings and seal. Some call it the "KTM automatic chain oiler".

The other thing to periodically check on the ktms are the wheel bearings and regrease them. Although this should be normal routine maintenance on a dirt bike, it's more critical with the ktms especially in the wetter climates and riding conditions.

Enjoy the new ride!

Edited by 525tom

Run a PDS spring in the rear and 115mm of sag

Spring for your weight generally going one step lighter then you would on your YZ...

The bike currently has the stock springs front and rear but he included a lighter set of fork springs that the original owner used for harescrambles. Is there a way to tell what spring rate they are? He just knew they were lighter than stock, but unsure by how much.

The bike currently has the stock springs front and rear but he included a lighter set of fork springs that the original owner used for harescrambles. Is there a way to tell what spring rate they are? He just knew they were lighter than stock, but unsure by how much.

If the numbers aren't worn off you might be able to tell. My best advice is take it to a suspension shop and have them test the springs...

If the numbers aren't worn off you might be able to tell. My best advice is take it to a suspension shop and have them test the springs...

Will do, a trip to the suspension shop is definitely on the to-do list before next year's race season starts... Being 16 years old I have to take things one step at a time as I can afford it. Also, what's with the adjustable powervalve on the KTMs? I know the different springs affect the hit of the motor, but is it really a significant difference? I'm liking the small things this bike has over he YZ.