Sign in to follow this  

Voltage regulator?

Riding along the other day and my 2004 xr650l just dies, absolutely no power and the battery was smoking hot. After buying a new battery and going for a short ride I notice that the battery is again getting hot. With a multimeter I get about 13v at the battery while not running. With the bike running I'm reading 18.6v and slightly more as I give it revs but never less than 18.6v. I don't have a mind for this electrical and I don't want to spend the money on a regulator if that's not the problem.

Riding along the other day and my 2004 xr650l just dies, absolutely no power and the battery was smoking hot. After buying a new battery and going for a short ride I notice that the battery is again getting hot. With a multimeter I get about 13v at the battery while not running. With the bike running I'm reading 18.6v and slightly more as I give it revs but never less than 18.6v. I don't have a mind for this electrical and I don't want to spend the money on a regulator if that's not the problem.

almost positive that your regulator is fried. You should get about 14.5 volts from the regulator to the battery (make sure the battery is connected tot he Regulator).

You are getting too much voltage and you you probably messed up the battery as well. 

• Like 1

Make certain the regulator has a good ground. A bad ground and it will act the same by not doing it's job. If it grounds through contact with the frame and it's loose, that would be a bad ground.

Edited by Onederer

almost positive that your regulator is fried. You should get about 14.5 volts from the regulator to the battery (make sure the battery is connected tot he Regulator).

You are getting too much voltage and you you probably messed up the battery as well. 

danger of battery exploding from over charging.

It's not so much that the regulator sends +13V to the battery, more the regulator eats all the un-needed power such that the voltage stays low enough to not cause trouble.

The alternator is always putting out max power.

It's not so much that the regulator sends +13V to the battery, more the regulator eats all the un-needed power such that the voltage stays low enough to not cause trouble.

The alternator is always putting out max power.

...The alternator is always putting out max power...

not true, the alternator's power output depends on the engine's RPM

As for the first part of your statement, yes some of the unused power is consumed at the RR, this is why they have cooling fins. 

Oh good lord, fine, it's putting out max power for whatever RPM it is going at the moment... figured that would be understood...

And all of the unneeded/unused power is consumed at the regulator, except for losses in the wires, if you're in a mood to split hairs.

Edited by XR650L_Dave
  • Like 1