Sign in to follow this  

Old topic made new! Second gear on the xr650 ?

How extensive is the 2nd 3rd gear change on this pig I feel like I am riding in second and first gear all the time I need fire roads to open this thing up.

I am starting to regret selling my KTM 450 exc.

it`s a full on tear down including splitting the cases.......but a competent person can do it start to finish in a day if all the parts are pre bought...

depending on the miles on the engine,you may want to do a valve job and re-ring at the same time..

B

Follow up question.  What is the simplest way to get a replacement second gear (Notice I didn't say "cheapest").

2nd is available in the U.S., so you have a few choices for the source.

As far as doing it in a day, I wouldn't make plans to ride the next one. There is most likely always going to be something else needed or go slightly wrong, like a broken bolt during disassembly or even worse, during reassembly. I putting mine back together this weekend. I've got the cylinder back on so far and hope to finish the rest tomorrow.

Perhaps the first question is what size  sprockets are you using?

How is that relevant?

The jump from first to second when riding in the dirt is just too much regardless of the gearing.  I've ridden mine with 15/45 and 14/48, and a couple of combinations in between.  The jump from first to second is an issue with all of those ratios.

As for my question second gear seems to be extremely long and first gear really short.

I am running 14-48 110

But the biggest issue is the miss shifting and the hard down shift, I have been dogging the north jersey trails for thirty + years on Kx500 kdx200-220 KTM 200sx KTM 450 exc all bikes are great through the tough stuff. I road in some big enduro runs northeast with some 60+ age guys from around the country that we're riding XR650 and they seem to love these bikes after a few months of riding it I am starting to ask myself WHY? Is there any fix for the hard shifting? Can anybody tell me if daves mod are worth the effort to try and get a little more thump out of this bike.

Yes, Daves mods are worth it.(Don't buy a "jetting kit")

there is a kit out there that promises smoother shifting.

It is my understanding that getting your gears undercut really helps also.(I think that is right? )

I believe mine shifted funky when clutch was wearing out & was hard to find neutral.

How is that relevant?

If OP was trying to use road gearing requiring extensive use of 1st/2nd, then its very relevant and simply a sprocket change to remedy

however with more info, its pretty obvious OP is switched on to that kind of stuff.

yes, pigs are a handful in tight stuff., i,ve used 24/51 before with good results, needing 1st only as a 'get out of jail' gear.

If OP was trying to use road gearing requiring extensive use of 1st/2nd, then its very relevant and simply a sprocket change to remedy

however with more info, its pretty obvious OP is switched on to that kind of stuff.

yes, pigs are a handful in tight stuff., i,ve used 24/51 before with good results, needing 1st only as a 'get out of jail' gear.

24/51   :lol:

i`d like to see that,,pics please  :devil:

:jawdrop:

B

24/51   :lol:

i`d like to see that,,pics please  :devil:

:jawdrop:

B

HaHa--massive typo!

Make that 14/51.

Always used to have 13/48 on XR500A, which was 1 tooth smaller on the front, and 14/51 is almost the same.

I wonder does anyone know about factory pro shift kit?

We've been waiting for you to buy one and let us know how it works... :lol: , by the way that is the "kit" that I was referring to.

I will let everyone know how it works, I m going to order tonight. Install Friday mountain ride on Saturday. Hope it helps.