Sign in to follow this  

Engine help! Major oil leak!

Hey everybody,

My 06' drz400sm California bike just started to leak oil this morning on a quick 5 minute ride. It started pouring out of the front sprocket shaft. When I was locating the source of the leak I noticed my sprocket but was almost off (two spins and it and the washer fell right off). I loaded more oil in the bike and spun it over and watched the oil spew right out of the seal of the shaft. My question is... Could the sprocket not being tight on the shaft cause the leak itself? Does that seal need the sprocket to be torqued down in order for that seal to do it's job?

Sprocket nut must be torqued... to prevent leaks and keep The nut from loosening (should also do the loctite-fix). I'd try torquing the sprocket nut first and see if the leak disappears. If not, go ahead and replace the seal, spacer and o-ring.

When the nut comes loose enough for the sprocket and spacer to to move out of position, it un-seats the seal and/or the O ring inside the spacer.  Just tightening the nut puts everything back in the proper place and "probably" cures the oil leak.  Try it and see.  If not, a seal and O ring replacement are in order.  The reason it pushes so much oil is that seal is under oil pressure that feeds oil to the hollow countershaft for transmission lubrication.  Read FAQ for the full story, on the Loctite fix and 100 ft lb nut torque.