Sign in to follow this  

Whats wrong with it? [Please Help]

Hello guys, I am a new member of this forum. I signed up hoping that one of you guys could help me out.

Heres some backstory. When I was little, my dad bought me a dirt bike, I was in love with it. I was obsessed with riding it.

Every time something broke or it needed an upgrade he would do it since he was a mechanic. I always rode that bike. When my dad died so did the bike. I had no one who could fix it, and since then it has been sitting in the shed.

I recently went to the shed and saw it and though maybe I could bring it back. 

I am 16, and I have no idea what Im doing. I do not know how to fix engines since my father was not around to show me.

I want to ride again and hopefully make dirt biking one of my hobbies.

Here are the specs for the Dirt Bike.

Brand: Tomcat
Model: 50DB
http://www.monstermarketplace.com/go-karts-and-mini-bikes/xtreme-tomcat-db50
(That is the only website I can find that has it)

• Engine: 50CC
  • Transmission: Automatic
  • 2 Stroke Engine
  • Oil Injection
  • Electric Start
  • Adjustable Speed Control
  • Single CylMaximum Power4.55HP @ 7000 RPM
  • Cooling: Air Cooled
  • 2 stroke Starting SystemElectric/Kick Start
  • Lubrication: Auto Lube
  • Suspension: FrtDual ShockSuspension

Here are some pictures of the bike:

FAWIVuC.jpg

1z4Jnvj.jpg

79blZoJ.jpg

EmdKFab.jpg

I have all the information and speculations from the website above. Its the only website I can find when searching for the bike.

Also, At first, I thought the battery was dead, so I ordered a new battery.
Here is the battery I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YTX4L-BS-iGel-Power-Sports-Battery-Replaces-CTX4L-BS-M3RH4S-44017-ES4LBS-/281351955812?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4181e22564&vxp=mtr

So basically the bike wont start. 
I am thinking of buying a new sparkplug. Maybe that would help?

Ive read a lot on the internet, could I have flooded the engine? Is that possible with a Automatic Transmission.
Also, I have a choke setting on my engine but I do not know how to use it, can anyone help with that?
Thanks Guys.

Edited by redsn0

Hello guys, I am a new member of this forum. I signed up hoping that one of you guys could help me out.

Heres some backstory. When I was little, my dad bought me a dirt bike, I was in love with it. I was obsessed with riding it.

Every time something broke or it needed an upgrade he would do it since he was a mechanic. I always rode that bike. When my dad died so did the bike. I had no one who could fix it, and since then it has been sitting in the shed.

I am 16, and I have no idea what Im doing. I do not know how to fix engines since my father was not around to show me.

• 2 Stroke Engine
  • Oil Injection
  • Electric Start

FAWIVuC.jpg

1z4Jnvj.jpg

79blZoJ.jpg

EmdKFab.jpg

I have all the information and speculations from the website above. Its the only website I can find when searching for the bike.

Here is the battery I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YTX4L-BS-iGel-Power-Sports-Battery-Replaces-CTX4L-BS-M3RH4S-44017-ES4LBS-/281351955812?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4181e22564&vxp=mtr

Ive read a lot on the internet, could I have flooded the engine? Is that possible with a Automatic Transmission.

Also, I have a choke setting on my engine but I do not know how to use it, can anyone help with that?

Thanks Guys.

Well I can't see the pics, so I have no idea what kind of condition the bike is in.

First things you should do is fresh gas, new spark plug, change the oil and clean your carburetor and your air filter. Not sure what kind of carb your bike has either. You can find videos on YouTube on how to do all of these things if your unsure

Make sure you buy the right spark plug also

Edited by Bazuka Joe
  • Like 1

Nevermind I can see the pics. Was it running last time you put it away? If so, the. Fresh gas and a new plug should bring it back to life.

Make sure there is oil for the oil injection!!!! I would recommend taking the oil injection crap off and mix your own gas, if that thing fails so will your motor

Nevermind I can see the pics. Was it running last time you put it away? If so, the. Fresh gas and a new plug should bring it back to life.

Make sure there is oil for the oil injection!!!! I would recommend taking the oil injection crap off and mix your own gas, if that thing fails so will your motor

Im pretty sure it was not working the last time I tried to ride it. There is already gas in there. And I would say the oil tank thing is halfway full.

Also where is my carburetor and air filter? 

Oh yeah, and what about the choke setting?

This is not a bike anyone here would be familiar with but the basics are the same. Dump the old gas and get new gas. The oil should be ok to get it going. Of it doesn't start i'd maybe befriend a local rider that can help you some.

And very sorry about your dad. Being 16 and without a dad is tough. I'm sure he's happy to see you getting the bike out. Good luck with it!

• Like 2

^^^^ rude.

Read the numbers off the white part of the plug, take it off and you'll see em.. Then go to an auto parts store and ask for that plug they'll have it.

Next is new gas. When gas gets old it deteriorates and bad things happen to it, long story short it doesn't like making bikes run.

Next is cleaning the carb. Find the rubber hose from the bottom of the gas tank, follow it until it goes into a weird grey metal thing with hoses on it, take it off. That's your carb we can explain how to clean it once you have it off

• Like 1

You're 16 , you need a bigger bike .there I helped.

Damn, you Jersey guys are too much! I'm sure its a keepsake more than a rider, get your ass over there and do a good deed.

• Like 1

You're 16 , you need a bigger bike .there I helped.

Your acting like I have the money to do it. Im 16. Well, not quite yet, 15, turning 16 on the 28th of this month. So I cant get a job either. Also, I wouldnt know what bike to buy. Go be a dick elsewhere. 

This is not a bike anyone here would be familiar with but the basics are the same. Dump the old gas and get new gas. The oil should be ok to get it going. Of it doesn't start i'd maybe befriend a local rider that can help you some.

And very sorry about your dad. Being 16 and without a dad is tough. I'm sure he's happy to see you getting the bike out. Good luck with it!

Somebody in Jersey help this kid!

^^^^ rude.

Read the numbers off the white part of the plug, take it off and you'll see em.. Then go to an auto parts store and ask for that plug they'll have it.

Next is new gas. When gas gets old it deteriorates and bad things happen to it, long story short it doesn't like making bikes run.

Next is cleaning the carb. Find the rubber hose from the bottom of the gas tank, follow it until it goes into a weird grey metal thing with hoses on it, take it off. That's your carb we can explain how to clean it once you have it off

Damn, you Jersey guys are too much! I'm sure its a keepsake more than a rider, get your ass over there and do a good deed.

Thank you guys so much. I didn't think this much people would reply. I honestly thought no one would care. 

I will start fixing it once the new battery comes, which should be monday - wednesday.

Any other comments/ideas would be greatly appreciate it.

Also, could anyone help me on the choke setting? I don't understand it and don't know what setting to put it.

Thanks guys.

Thank you guys so much. I didn't think this much people would reply. I honestly thought no one would care.

I will start fixing it once the new battery comes, which should be monday - wednesday.

Any other comments/ideas would be greatly appreciate it.

Also, could anyone help me on the choke setting? I don't understand it and don't know what setting to put it.

Thanks guys.

It just makes it so the bike gets more fuel during startup. Keep it off for now

Take the carb right off the bike to clean it. Take pictures every step of the way so you know how it goes back on. While its off wiggle the choke lever. You will see a butterfly open and close. Choke on is closed and starves the bike of most of the air but still lets lots of fuel in. When your carb is set right you will only need your choke on for cold starts. I say take the carb off and apart to do a full proper clean of the bowl and all the jets and ports because 2stroke fuel jells over time and clogs everything and its a good start to getting to know your bike. No matter what bike you own big or small learning to wrench on it yourself will always be a wise decision.

• Like 1

First off I want to apologize for being an ass ,and yes I feel like one now. Replace battery 

those will go dead after awhile .If it still does not crank I have seen the fuze blown before

looks like yours is on the little red wire in that green tube thingy.Yes clean carb also ,fresh gas ,

and you should be good to go .bike looks pretty new so its got some life left.

Plus a running bike is worth more than a non running bike.

If it still doesnt start by all means you can pm me and I will personally come down and 

take a look at it. :ride:

• Like 1

It just makes it so the bike gets more fuel during startup. Keep it off for now

Take the carb right off the bike to clean it. Take pictures every step of the way so you know how it goes back on. While its off wiggle the choke lever. You will see a butterfly open and close. Choke on is closed and starves the bike of most of the air but still lets lots of fuel in. When your carb is set right you will only need your choke on for cold starts. I say take the carb off and apart to do a full proper clean of the bowl and all the jets and ports because 2stroke fuel jells over time and clogs everything and its a good start to getting to know your bike. No matter what bike you own big or small learning to wrench on it yourself will always be a wise decision.

Alright thanks guys, I will be trying to clean the carb today, the new battery didn't come yet, should come tomorrow or wednesday, while I wait I might as well buy a new spark plug and install it, clean the carb, and do everything i can to save time. Thanks for helping me out.

First off I want to apologize for being an ass ,and yes I feel like one now. Replace battery 

those will go dead after awhile .If it still does not crank I have seen the fuze blown before

looks like yours is on the little red wire in that green tube thingy.Yes clean carb also ,fresh gas ,

and you should be good to go .bike looks pretty new so its got some life left.

Plus a running bike is worth more than a non running bike.

If it still doesnt start by all means you can pm me and I will personally come down and 

take a look at it. :ride:

Its fine man, thanks for your reply. I will try everything I can. Im sure Ill get it going. What part of Jersey are you in? Central?

Watch some YouTube videos it helps out a lot trust me you can learn damn near everything you need to know there

Watch some YouTube videos it helps out a lot trust me you can learn damn near everything you need to know there

Well I found the problem, I think. Its the carb. Well thanks I will look up videos.

******UPDATE***** 

• 2 Stroke Engine
  • Oil Injection
  • Electric Start

FAWIVuC.jpg

1z4Jnvj.jpg

79blZoJ.jpg

EmdKFab.jpg

Here is the battery I ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YTX4L-BS-iGel-Power-Sports-Battery-Replaces-CTX4L-BS-M3RH4S-44017-ES4LBS-/281351955812?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4181e22564&vxp=mtr

Thanks Guys.

**EDIT**  UPDATE!

*I am replying to the topic since it wont let me edit the topic like other forums do.

Thank you guys for taking the time to help me.

All your replies were very helpful. I honestly didn't think this much people would reply. Thanks.

So, the battery came in today, its a very nice battery, it has an LCD display showing the remining volts on the battery and it has a lot of features. It even alerts me by a loud beep when the battery is almost empty.

When the battery came, it came already charged, which is awesome cause it saved a lot of time.

So as soon as I plugged it in I noticed that the horn and the electric start began to work.

So I tried starting and starting, and I looked, and I kept trying to figure out why.

For some odd reason no gas was getting through to the carburetor. So I took an air compressor and blew it through the tube that leads to the gas tank. (I know that could have been a bad idea, but &%$#@! it.)

So slowly but surely I saw air bubbles in the tank. So I cleared that.

I went to go start it, I noticed gas coming out of the tube, and the engine sounded a bit better but still no.

Also I checked the spark plug and its good. really good.

So my step dad took some Starter Fuel in a spray can, and removed a large tube (The big black one that goes to the carburetor as you see in the pictures) and he sprayed the starter fuel while I electric started + pulled the gas throttle.

After that the bike started! But only for a few seconds. It shut off like 5 seconds after.

So then I rode my bike to the gas station and purchased "Super" gas.

Removed the old gas and put the new in. Then I tried starting the bike, and it was a little better but still no luck.

So I am guessing I need to clean the carburetor. Which is gunna suck cause its hard.

I was gunna do it but my step dad insisted not to cause he told me that last year, he wanted to try to clean the Snow Plow's Carburetor, and he messed up. Apparently there are so many tiny parts that make up the Carburetor that if I forget to put one in, or put one in the wrong spot, Im &%$#@!ed.

So Im gunna try to see a professional to clean the carburetor.

Mean while, if any of you guys have any ideas to cleaning the carburetor easily. Please let me know.

Edited by redsn0

******UPDATE*****

**EDIT** UPDATE!

*I am replying to the topic since it wont let me edit the topic like other forums do.

Thank you guys for taking the time to help me.

All your replies were very helpful. I honestly didn't think this much people would reply. Thanks.

So, the battery came in today, its a very nice battery, it has an LCD display showing the remining volts on the battery and it has a lot of features. It even alerts me by a loud beep when the battery is almost empty.

When the battery came, it came already charged, which is awesome cause it saved a lot of time.

So as soon as I plugged it in I noticed that the horn and the electric start began to work.

So I tried starting and starting, and I looked, and I kept trying to figure out why.

For some odd reason no gas was getting through to the carburetor. So I took an air compressor and blew it through the tube that leads to the gas tank. (I know that could have been a bad idea, but &%$#@! it.)

So slowly but surely I saw air bubbles in the tank. So I cleared that.

I went to go start it, I noticed gas coming out of the tube, and the engine sounded a bit better but still no.

Also I checked the spark plug and its good. really good.

So my step dad took some Starter Fuel in a spray can, and removed a large tube (The big black one that goes to the carburetor as you see in the pictures) and he sprayed the starter fuel while I electric started + pulled the gas throttle.

After that the bike started! But only for a few seconds. It shut off like 5 seconds after.

So then I rode my bike to the gas station and purchased "Super" gas.

Removed the old gas and put the new in. Then I tried starting the bike, and it was a little better but still no luck.

So I am guessing I need to clean the carburetor. Which is gunna suck cause its hard.

I was gunna do it but my step dad insisted not to cause he told me that last year, he wanted to try to clean the Snow Plow's Carburetor, and he messed up. Apparently there are so many tiny parts that make up the Carburetor that if I forget to put one in, or put one in the wrong spot, Im &%$#@!ed.

So Im gunna try to see a professional to clean the carburetor.

Mean while, if any of you guys have any ideas to cleaning the carburetor easily. Please let me know.

I really think you could clean the carb yourself. On a 50 i wouldn't worry about to many parts. Just clean a jet, and replace it.

Sounds like you need to clean your fuel filter/tank and your carb.

• Like 1