Sign in to follow this  

GasGas EC 200 Loading up bad

My son has a 2003 EC200 it has been running fine. This morning he put a new plug in the bike it ran fine for about an hour then it started loading up bad it fouled a plug I put a new one in it. The bike will run when the choke is up but idles real fast but dies when you push the choke down, any suggestions please. We just bought the bike last week and know it needs jetted because it was jetted for Colorado and we live in WV. Thanks for your help..

If you fouled plugs fast and only runs with the choke on..well you answered your own question! You need to reject it. Try that and see how she goes

At the risk of sounding stupid how do I reject it. I will try it I just don't know how. Thanks

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding stupid how do I reject it. I will try it I just don't know how. Thanks

Haha really easy

You can either Google jetting for your elevation and riding style or for the simple and easy way, get a jd jet kit for your make and model. There are step by step instructions and you have many different jets for if you move or anything

Cheers!

Sorry bud

Just order the jet kit and follow instructions

Just out of curiosity what fuel oil ratio are you running?

50:1 it was running great yesterday and this morning then he started up a hill and it would not run

I took the reeds out they look bad to me how can I tell the reeds on his 125 are tight and don't look burnt can anyone tell by these blury pics if these reeds are good.

004.JPG

002.JPG

006.JPG

011.JPG

012.JPG

reeds are bad when they pass light on the edges (don't seal), are chipped on the edges, or are cracked. Yours looked minorly chipped. You could buy the standard jets, check float bowl height, clean all other circuits, adjust needle, etc. Read this first. 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/347305-is-your-two-stroke-running-rich-read-here/

Edited by shrubitup

Good read thanks. I took apart the carb and checked the floats and cleaned the jets. These reeds are bent up on the ends and have a little hole in them on one side. I ordered the JD Jet Kit. It will be here next week. I will have to wait until Monday to order reeds unfortunately but my son is going to wrestling camp tomorrow until next Friday so we should be good to go when he gets back. I noticed that the bike was a lot harder to start today it took five to ten kicks min to start it. Yesterday just a few kicks when first started and one or two after that could that be a clue to something else besides the jets I will change them because I think it needs it but just want to be right when I put it all back together.

I wouldn't change the jetting until you replace the reeds.  Your reeds are bad.  You can see in the 4th pic your carbon fiber reed is not closing on the way.  That is going to affect your jetting, especially at idle.  It's interesting, the previous owner installed two different types of reed cages.   They must have been tying to save $$$.

Your reeds look the same as my 2003 EC250.  Boyesen reeds PSR-21.  I got them through Amazon for $49.  They are the more expensive Carbon Fiber, like your top secondary reed.  I like them.

Thanks reeds should be here by Thursday. Is there any certain way I should put them in.

With in reason, no.  smaller reeds go on top of bigger reeds with holes.

Got the new reeds and jets and the bike still doesn't run. It fires up for about a sec or so and then quits. It takes twenty kicks to do it again.

Got the new reeds and jets and the bike still doesn't run. It fires up for about a sec or so and then quits. It takes twenty kicks to do it again.

What is your float height? A full float bowl due to high floats will flood the engine, and a float valve stuck open will do the same. Anything coming out of the overflow when you set the bike on the side stand?

What is your float height? A full float bowl due to high floats will flood the engine, and a float valve stuck open will do the same. Anything coming out of the overflow when you set the bike on the side stand?

Nothing coming out of the overflow at all.

I'm stumped the bike starts first or second kick now but will not run if I give it about quarter throttle it will run but acts like it is flooding or too much gas. I take the plug out and it is wet I don't think it should be that wet. I am at a loss I don't know what to do next. I think I put the jets in correctly the float looks good to me. I tried moving the needle up and down on the slide in the carb that did not help.

Bog is lean. Stutter is rich. If you've tried every clip position with no improvement then consider a jd jet kit. If they don't make it for your model then try this popular cel needle.

http://r.ebay.com/cYGizt

If your slide isn't snapping back completely shut then there's an issue with throttle cable/spring installation.

If was my bike and your new to jetting i would double check the float is correct and your not starving it for fuel why the multipul kicks before it starts are needed. Prob sits long enough to build up fuel starts then dies and you do it again and get the same results. Sounds like it was running until you changed the float can be a real pain bending the tap just right.