Sign in to follow this  

carb overhauled to OEM specs cr250 2001, mix too rich, still

What's the smartest avenue to take? Main needle clip is at 1st groove as it was before. Only difference from settings before is the slow jet is a 35,was a 30. Screwed with the airscrew, nothing. FYI RT main crank seal, I just replaced. Do I change my main jet or main jet needle? Do I put a 30 slow jet back in? Its rich throughout rpm range....

Edited by dirty_fun

I would try the 30pj, next leaner needle starting in the middle groove and a 410 main. Air screw at 1.5 turns out to start.  Your owners manual has the numbers and a chart for the needles along with alt and temp settings. I always end up slightly leaner than what Honda suggests especially on the needle and pj.

Edited by YHGEORGE

As George stated the manual will get you close & can be fine tuned afterwards.  If your planning on keeping the mikuni the s8 or even the s7 nozzle will lean the overall mixure (1/4-3/4 throttle) & is a very good upgrade on the 01-03 tmx mikuni. 

As George stated the manual will get you close & can be fine tuned afterwards. If your planning on keeping the mikuni the s8 or even the s7 nozzle will lean the overall mixure (1/4-3/4 throttle) & is a very good upgrade on the 01-03 tmx mikuni.

are u talking about the inlet or outlet nozzle? I don't know what part you're talking about.

are u talking about the inlet or outlet nozzle? I don't know what part you're talking about.

I've heard it called an air nozzle, but it's the one that the main jet screws into.  The 01-03 tmx mikuni came stock with an s9 which is very rich & can cause jetting to be difficult to get dialed.   The 04-07 tps mikuni's I believe came stock with an s7 nozzle.  I used an s8 on my 03 & a friends 01 model with good results & felt I could've gone down to an s7.    

Scroll towards the bottom of the page & it will be the 633 series nozzles.     http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needlejet_jets_mikuni.htm

I've heard it called an air nozzle, but it's the one that the main jet screws into.  The 01-03 tmx mikuni came stock with an s9 which is very rich & can cause jetting to be difficult to get dialed.   The 04-07 tps mikuni's I believe came stock with an s7 nozzle.  I used an s8 on my 03 & a friends 01 model with good results & felt I could've gone down to an s7.    

Scroll towards the bottom of the page & it will be the 633 series nozzles.     http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needlejet_jets_mikuni.htm

Yep, I forgot this mod(S7) I made also. I am still happy with my Mikuni, works fine for me.

• Like 1

I tried to tune my TMX and just when I had it dialed in, it would work for the day then on the next,  the ambient temp would change enough to screw it up again. Got tired of it then purchased a PWK. Get a PWK and you wont need to chase issues from this carb.

Yep, every TMX thread needs a PWK conversion comment :goofy:

• Like 1

:facepalm::thumbsdn:

As was said, S7 nozzle. 30 PJ and 400 MJ. Needle clip dependent on elevation but typically third or second clip from top.

Good settings to start for sure, but unfortunately, it wasn't consistent enough for my bike. I did have better luck with 30/390 jets.

My settings on the TMX:

32.5pilot

390 MJ

S7 nozzle

Clip 2nd position

For 365feet elevation riding 15-30 degrees celcius. I would have to change the clip depending on how warm/humidity level it was outside for good performance. You could also try a tapered needle like the one in JD's kit.

Edited by frank2014

I've heard it called an air nozzle, but it's the one that the main jet screws into. The 01-03 tmx mikuni came stock with an s9 which is very rich & can cause jetting to be difficult to get dialed. The 04-07 tps mikuni's I believe came stock with an s7 nozzle. I used an s8 on my 03 & a friends 01 model with good results & felt I could've gone down to an s7.

Scroll towards the bottom of the page & it will be the 633 series nozzles. http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needlejet_jets_mikuni.htm

THX H4l!

As was said, S7 nozzle. 30 PJ and 400 MJ. Needle clip dependent on elevation but typically third or second clip from top.

THX shubitup! Edited by dirty_fun

Good settings to start for sure, but unfortunately, it wasn't consistent enough for my bike. I did have better luck with 30/390 jets.

My settings on the TMX:

32.5pilot

390 MJ

S7 nozzle

Clip 2nd position

For 365feet elevation riding 15-30 degrees celcius. I would have to change the clip depending on how warm/humidity level it was outside for good performance. You could also try a tapered needle like the one in JD's kit.

the frank!

I've heard it called an air nozzle, but it's the one that the main jet screws into. The 01-03 tmx mikuni came stock with an s9 which is very rich & can cause jetting to be difficult to get dialed. The 04-07 tps mikuni's I believe came stock with an s7 nozzle. I used an s8 on my 03 & a friends 01 model with good results & felt I could've gone down to an s7.

Scroll towards the bottom of the page & it will be the 633 series nozzles. http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/needlejet_jets_mikuni.htm

ok, I've found the s7 nozzle, plz tell me the pn for the 30 slow jet and the 410 needle and where to order that? Thx h4l! ...ray

Same place to order the jets. You can also look for the jets by going to the carb type tmx mikuni thru the home page.   The PJ will be the TMX late style N 224.103 & the main jet will be the hex type just look for the size you want to order.

Here you go -  http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_mikuni_TMX_series.htm

Edited by H4L

Yep, I forgot this mod(S7) I made also. I am still happy with my Mikuni, works fine for me.

what elevation are you riding at with your settings?

My settings on the TMX:

32.5pilot

390 MJ

S7 nozzle

Clip 2nd position

For 365feet elevation riding 15-30 degrees celcius. I would have to change the clip depending on how warm/humidity level it was outside for good performance. You could also try a tapered needle like the one in JD's kit.

frank, what elevation are you riding in?

shrub it up, what elevation are you running in?

h4l, what's the settings on your 01cr250 carb and what elevation are you run ng in?

frank, what elevation are you riding in?

Its in my post :) my city is at 365 feet elevation. So in reality probably 340-400feet.