Sign in to follow this  

Air filter question

Hey guys and gals, I just received a twin air foam filter for my DRZ and also a K&N filter cleaner and oil kit with it. Is the K&N oil and cleaner compatible with any old foam filter, or do I need something specific? Dumb question and bad timing, but I guess better late than never. Thanks for the help guys!

I think this has been discussed before and answers run 50, 50.  K & N oil will probably do OK on a foam filter but for the price of foam filter oil I would use foam filter oil on a foam filter.

• Like 4

Word. What kind of filter oil do y'all prefer? Or just whatever you can find? I'm guessing I should use some sort of foam specific filter cleaner too right? Sorry for all the questions...I just had a buddy tell me to buy the K&N kit because it worked good...on K&N filters so I went for it lol  :facepalm:   Anyways thanks for all the help!!

There are lots of good products.  Main choice is soap and water clean vs solvent clean. I'm old school so the stickier the better which is the solvent cleaned filter oils. And if you are really annal then follow with soap and water, air dry, and re-saturate with foam filter oil.  Right now I'm using Maxima.

I think the main difference in K & N oil is the way it is applied.  You can not squeeze out a K & N fabric filter so the oil has to go on in a controlled way to wick and saturate the fabric.  With foam, the oil is poured on, foam squeezed to saturate the filter, excess squeezed out, then replace the foam on the cage.  Since I do not use K & N filters, I am not any more familiar with it than that.

There are lots of good products.  Main choice is soap and water clean vs solvent clean. I'm old school so the stickier the better which is the solvent cleaned filter oils. And if you are really annal then follow with soap and water, air dry, and re-saturate with foam filter oil.  Right now I'm using Maxima.

I think the main difference in K & N oil is the way it is applied.  You can not squeeze out a K & N fabric filter so the oil has to go on in a controlled way to wick and saturate the fabric.  With foam, the oil is poured on, foam squeezed to saturate the filter, excess squeezed out, then replace the foam on the cage.  Since I do not use K & N filters, I am not any more familiar with it than that.

Roger that. The kit I ordered is a pump spray cleaner and an aerosol oil. I might try it on the old filter for shits and giggles...I will definitely do my research next time before buying lol. What kind of solvent and soap do you mainly use? I know I'm questioning you guys to death but this is all new to me lol. Thanks for the advise!

:goofy:  I just soaked my air filter in degreaser for 5 mins ringed it out and did this a couple times then ran warm water through it ringed it out, then put it in a bucket with warm SOAPY water, massaged it in there for like 10 mins, soaked and rung it out 5 times then ran just warm water through (no soap), rung it out to get as much water as i could out without damaging the filter. hung it outside on a clothing hanging and have a fan blowing on it drying it out. :rolleyes: ...I think i am annal.. lol 

Buutttt in my defence.. I am also new and it was my first time and a brand new bike! gotta keep it fresh!  :goofy:  :ride: 

Now to my Question.. -> I have the suzuki foam filter oil, Once my filter is completely dry I am going to massage the oil into the filter in a zip lock plastic bag, but how much foam filter oil do i use?

:ride:  :ride: Happy riding!  :ride:  :ride:

• Like 1

Enough to saturate the filter and when your done massaging it in... you can squeeze out a little excess oil.

• Like 1