Sign in to follow this  

Cycra ProBend hand guards

Last weekend I installed a pair of Cycra ProBend hand guards on my 2007 YZ250.  Tomorrow morning I am going riding and I hope I don't get the opportunity to see how well they hold up when coming into contact with a tree at 40-50 m.p.h.   :ride:

Here is a pic of the bike with them installed.

IMG_20140802_192700077_HDR_zps24e72006.j

No brush guards? good looking 07. Looks like my old one. Looks low hours. If they move on you install the bar end threaded inserts. G2 Ergonomics makes them. Very nice. :cheers:

Thanks for the compliment Shrub!  The bike has about 80 hours on it.  I didn't have time to cut part of my clutch lever off to prevent it from interfering with the left side brush guard.  Could have rotated

my clutch lever so there wouldn't be any interference but I am very picky about its radial orientation when I am riding so I left it where it was positioned.  One evening after work this week I am going to

cut part of the ball end off my clutch lever and install the brush guards afterwards.

I have an '13 YZ250 with the Cycra Probends.    I ended up going with a 3 finger (instead of four) clutch lever.  The 4 finger is way to close to the bar of the Cycra.  3 finger solves that issue right away.  Cutting off the end works too but I really like the zeta pivot 3 finger clutch lever.  Obviously you do not need the pivot but the feel is great on these levers.  Also easy to adjust. 

The other thing I did was not use the standard plastic guard for the cycras.  They are effective but are really damn ugly.  They stand out like the ears on dumbo.  I ended up going with the more slim profile euro shields.  They look way better.  Not as much coverage but before them I just road with no shields so I'm fine with the euros.

• Like 2

Oh and BTW.  I cannot count the number of times these things have saved me.  Both money and from experiencing pain. 

The most common thing they save you from is breaking levers.  All of my friends broke levers so far this year.  Some have broke several.  Me, same levers since I installed the Cycras (1.5 years ago) and bike has been down so many times. 

I've also hit them on trees while riding really tight sections.  Before I got them  I was in a really tight section and had to do a quick left right left and on my last left the right side smacked a tree and somehow turned the throttle to full rev.  Luckily I was covering the clutch lever so I pulled it quickly and didn't whisky throttle into the middle of the woods.

• Like 1

Oh and BTW.  I cannot count the number of times these things have saved me.  Both money and from experiencing pain. 

The most common thing they save you from is breaking levers.  All of my friends broke levers so far this year.  Some have broke several.  Me, same levers since I installed the Cycras (1.5 years ago) and bike has been down so many times. 

I've also hit them on trees while riding really tight sections.  Before I got them  I was in a really tight section and had to do a quick left right left and on my last left the right side smacked a tree and somehow turned the throttle to full rev.  Luckily I was covering the clutch lever so I pulled it quickly and didn't whisky throttle into the middle of the woods.

this!

Nice looking bike. Are those stock modified number plates or after market?

Thanks for the compliment on the YZ250 5Lgreenback.  I used a cutting wheel attachment on my Dremel tool and trimmed some plastic off the stock rear side covers/number plates.  After cutting them I used a polishing attachment to smooth out the edges and heated them up for a bit with my heat gun.  This process smoothed them out even more.

I have an '13 YZ250 with the Cycra Probends.    I ended up going with a 3 finger (instead of four) clutch lever.  The 4 finger is way to close to the bar of the Cycra.  3 finger solves that issue right away.  Cutting off the end works too but I really like the zeta pivot 3 finger clutch lever.  Obviously you do not need the pivot but the feel is great on these levers.  Also easy to adjust. 

The other thing I did was not use the standard plastic guard for the cycras.  They are effective but are really damn ugly.  They stand out like the ears on dumbo.  I ended up going with the more slim profile euro shields.  They look way better.  Not as much coverage but before them I just road with no shields so I'm fine with the euros.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Zeta Pivot 3 finger clutch lever.  I'll order one and give it a shot for sure.  Where did you purchase your euro shields?  Are you euro shields also Cycra brand?

yes they are from cycra.  I don't remember if I had to buy them directly from cycra or if I found them on another site.  http://store.cycraracing.com/lowprenha.html

I bought them in white and blue to see which I liked better.  The blue is a really good match to Yamaha blue.  Bought as close as you can get without being exact.  Very happy with them.

I use the slim profile guards on both my bikes and though you do lose a noticeable amount of hand protection more so for offroad, it's still pretty good without making the bike look like Dumbo.

Otherwise, as often as I wipe out and run into stuff, my Cycras have saved a great many levers and probably a couple of throttle tubes. They are tough.

Here's what I'm running on my YZ:

IMAG0763.jpg

• Like 1

Zeta racing makes some pretty cool red anodized pieces that would look good on your bike. http://www.zeta-racing.com/body/index.html

Thanks a lot for the lead. Not sure if I'll ever go the anodized bling route, but I know Zeta has a very good reputation. I love making bikes look cool with new plastics and graphics, but I've never really been big on bling and I'd feel like a poseur. Unless Zeta was willing to sponsor a mid-pack C rider!! Ha!
  • Like 1

Yeah I'm with you.  I like them on other people's bikes but don't have them on mine.  My YZ250 looks plain jane other then the shiny FMF pipe. 

• Like 1

Love the cycra pro-bends....strongest ones I ever used. Use to go without shields too but after a couple nasty whips from branches I am using full sized shields now.  

I want to thank DirtSmoker250 for hooking me up on some Euro shields for my hand guards.  He is a stand up guy to do business with!  Thanks again and here is a pic

that I took when I was leaving the offroad riding park yesterday.

PIC_0238_zpsa66178df.jpg

• Like 1