Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse core 3.0 disappointment... looking for advice.

So I just replaced my Z start pro on my 2012 YZ250 2 stroke with the new Core 3.0. The install went perfect. However I was extremely disappointed when the bike warmed up and started to squeal and chatter excessively (possibly even slipping) at low Rpm takeoff. I read the tech tips about oil and clutch basket.

These are the things I've tried so far.

1. Changed the oil but a rekluse clutch basket is not available for my model. These are the two recommended fixes.

The oil change did not help.

2. Changed the drive plates to the the ones that came with the z start pro kit as that allowed the core 3.0 the sit lower in the clutch basket. The drive plates that came with the kit are too thick and had the core 3.0 sitting way higher than the recommended %50 above the height of the clutch basket.

No change with this attempt.

3. Changed the 3.0 springs to the higher blue color as this was a recommended fix for low Rpm slip.

No change with this attempt.

4. Changed the 3.0 springs to the lower red color. I did this to allow the wedges to engage easier.

Some noticeable improvement with this change but far from acceptable.

I've asked my Yamaha dealer to order a heaver wedge set to see if I can get the clutch to engage a bit more solid in hopes this is the fix.

Other then the awesome clutch feel I'm extremely disappointed with the core 3.0 so far. I find it absolutely absurd that I'm having to order addition parts for this kit to make is usable.

I should add that the free play was set properly and the clutch plates are in good condition.

Looking for advice if anyone has a fix :)

Edited by Kindy

I have a core in a bike because they don't make a z-start for my bike. I've had a couples problems with mine. First off the steels were really rough around the edges, I worked on those. Also the pressure plate springs were different overall length on a couple causing my pressure plate to engage quicker on one side than the other causing chatter. Works great now but for the money these things cost there's no reason to have to mess with them.

Hopefully they don't stop make the Z-start because I much prefer that setup.

The chatter is the basket, order a GYTR basket and be done with it...

I see you tried heavier oil and it didn't work (edit)

Edited by Monk
  • Like 1

The chatter is the basket, order a GYTR basket and be done with it...

I see you tried heavier oil and it didn't work (edit)

I never thought of a GYTR basket. Thanks!

Also, that's how the EXP ring sits on the clutch basket, half in/half out...

With the supplied plates it was1/3 in 2/3 out.

Rekluse has above great customer support, so I really don't know why people come on TT to ask the forum knowitfuggalls? CALL REKLUSE!!! They will walk you through any problems

• Like 1

Rekluse has above great customer support, so I really don't know why people come on TT to ask the forum knowitfuggalls? CALL REKLUSE!!! They will walk you through any problems

Its the weekend that's why I posted here. BTW I've already sent customer service a message. Waiting on the reply.

• Like 1

Its the weekend that's why I posted here. BTW I've already sent customer service a message. Waiting on the reply.

Don't bother with an email. Wait til tomorrow and call them. You will get much more accomplished with a 5 minute phone call. They have always helped me and even sent additional parts when needed.
  • Like 3

Any reason why you changed from the Z start ?

I think the Z Start is still the best design and the longest lasting, ran it on my kx 450 with no problems 

I tried to get for one for my 2012 Kx 250 and they dont make it for that model, so im just going without one.    

Every time I've called them they helped me. When I got to motocross and super cross races I talk to them at there booth. There nice people

Any reason why you changed from the Z start ?

I think the Z Start is still the best design and the longest lasting, ran it on my kx 450 with no problems

I tried to get for one for my 2012 Kx 250 and they dont make it for that model, so im just going without one.

Basically for the clutch feel.

With the Z start when you manually clutch and blip the throttle it forces the clutch leaver out... so it can be tricky to get a smooth engagement at times.

Don't bother with an email. Wait til tomorrow and call them. You will get much more accomplished with a 5 minute phone call. They have always helped me and even sent additional parts when needed.

Spent 15 minutes on the phone with Patrick from Rekluse... talking about different solutions. He is going to send me some tuning parts to see if we can get rid of the chatter.

Great customer service so far.

I'll re-post once the issue has been resolved with the fix.

• Like 1

Sorry to get off topic but how are the Rekluse clutches just for trail riding. I feel that this clutch would do more harm than good. For instance, climbing up a steep ass hill and you dont make it, whatever just stall the bike and it wont move. However, with the rekluse, your bike will start rolling down the hill and moving. granted you would probably lay it down and do not much harm. But still i seems like i would rather buy a standardclutch. 

Anyone else think differently?

Edited by skiing

Sorry to get off topic but how are the Rekluse clutches just for trail riding. I feel that this clutch would do more harm than good. For instance, climbing up a steep ass hill and you dont make it, whatever just stall the bike and it wont move. However, with the rekluse, your bike will start rolling down the hill and moving. granted you would probably lay it down and do not much harm. But still i seems like i would rather buy a standardclutch.

The benifits of the Rekluse not allowing the bike to stall the in every other application far out way the above IMO.... but there is a limited amount of drag when the bike is not running while in gear, so its not like the bike totally free wheels. I use a left hand rear brake lever that will help if I'm ever in a precarious sitution like you sugested.

Edited by Kindy
  • Like 1

It makes it more likely that you will make the hill.  Then can watch your friends worry about stalling their bike and turning around from the top!

• Like 1

alright well what about starting the bike. like my rmz 450 will not start unless it is in neutral. also if the bike is turned off, will the bike move freely like in neutral. if so this will be horrible because if u lean ur bike against a tree on a slight decline, you bike will fall over

No, the bike will not move in neutral because it's in neutral. Even when it's in gear, properly tuned, you can lean it up against and tree with it not moving...

No, the bike will not move in neutral because it's in neutral. Even when it's in gear, properly tuned, you can lean it up against and tree with it not moving...

I think he was asking about when the bike is turned off....?? Like I said above there is some drag when the bike is in gear and not running. Enough that you won't have to worry about leaning it up against a tree and having it roll away on you.