Sign in to follow this  

Rear sprocket

I have a 2009 KLX 140 and have the stock sprocket on it. I find myself wanting more low end on trails, and I rarley hit the top speed. Could someone guide me to an aftermarket sprocket that would give me more low end but still have a high top speed.

Check and see what size rear sprocket you have on the bike. I believe the OEM is a 50 tooth rear. Just find an aftermarket sprocket that goes up a couple teeth, two or three, and that will give you more of the low end feel that you are looking for. If you have a hard time finding a rear sprocket, find a front that goes down one tooth, I believe stock is 14 front, try a 13.

Changing the front sprocket is a good first inexpensive first step in determining what you want your final drive ratio to be. One tooth on the front (up or down) will make a more noticeable difference than one tooth on the back.

How impractical would it be to get a larger front sprocket like a 15 and down in the rear 4 to 6 teeth for more bottom end?

I get most of my stuff from royal and they don't have very good selection for my Kelly.