Sign in to follow this  

Hey I need help...

I have a 04 ktm 450 exc that recently bought. It has a rekluse z start pro clutch installed and long story short, I am REALLY not a fan.

The PO gave me a brand new conventional clutch and all that jazz. My mechanical skills consist of air filters and oil changes. I would really like to switch back to conventional clutch, and would even more like to be able to do it myself.

So my first question is, how do I go about getting the rekluse off (google provided no immediate answers)?

My second question is; should I even bother attempting this myself? It's not like I'm horrible at working on things, I just don't know how complicated this is?

Thanks!

I have a 04 ktm 450 exc that recently bought. It has a rekluse z start pro clutch installed and long story short, I am REALLY not a fan.

The PO gave me a brand new conventional clutch and all that jazz. My mechanical skills consist of air filters and oil changes. I would really like to switch back to conventional clutch, and would even more like to be able to do it myself.

So my first question is, how do I go about getting the rekluse off (google provided no immediate answers)?

My second question is; should I even bother attempting this myself? It's not like I'm horrible at working on things, I just don't know how complicated this is?

Thanks!

Go online and download a BETA workshop manual, this will give you all the illustrations, procedures and torque specs. It's not hard, I had my clutch apart last week, basic hand tools. You tube my have a few how to videos or try Rocky Mountain ATV they have how to's also. Just have a new gasket and a seal for the kick start shaft in case it's bad.

Go for it.

You should order a new 56532018000  lock washer, and clutch cover gasket before performing the swap.

The Rekluse website has the install instructions. Just start from the back and work forwards to go back to OEM. 

Using an impact gun to break the nut loose will make the swap easier. Even then you will need to stick a robust handle through the spokes and block against the swing arm to lock up the transmission. 

I'd give it a few rides before you take it out. Takes time to get used to it.

That's a good point.

What exactly is it that you don't like about it?  Is it possible that the clutch is not setup properly, and that's why you don't like it?

CADman_KS

... No, the clutch lever feel won't feel normal. ...

True that, and it does take some getting used to.

...Yes, there will be creep in gear. Get used to it. ...

I've noticed that when mine is "correct", or at least when I believe it to be correct, it won't creep forward when I'm sitting on the bike. When mine starts to creep forward, it typically means that I have to adjust it, which is a super simple process on mine, but I have a Core EXP, and not a Z-Start. I don't know what the adjusting procedure is on the Z-Start.

... But don't overreact and missed out on one of the best inventions ever.

Should probably add, that this might depend on what type of riding you're doing.  If you're doing a lot of road only riding, then it might not make a lot of sense.  If you're doing track riding, I can't see where it would hurt you.  If you're woods / trail riding, I wouldn't leave home without it.

YMMV...

CADman_KS

Edited by cadman_ks

I've already done a 300 mile day with it along with a bunch of other quick rides. I can launch and shift faster with a conventional clutch. I have more control at slow speed with clutch, the rekluse just stops me from stalling. I don't race so the benefits of the rekluse really don't apply to me. Idk I just really don't like it. I know I'm in the minority but so far I really don't like it. 

It was stated earlier in this post, but go to the Rekluse website, and just do everything in reverse.  It's not really that tough of a process.  Clutches just seem like they should be scary things...

CADman_KS