Sign in to follow this  

Dual sporting a CRF150R big wheel (and a CRF450R while I'm at it)

As the subject says, I've decided it's time to plate my wife's 2006 CRF150R big wheel. While I'm at it, I'm going to plate my 2006 CRF450R. Both bikes are already set up as trail bikes with the usual oversize tanks, hand guards, Scott's stabilizers, rekluse clutches, etc. But there is no lighting at all.

I have no intention of putting any serious street miles on them, the plate is strictly so I can ride connecting roads that require a plated vehicle in-between trails, or if we're at a RV Park that doesn't have direct trail access, we can ride a few miles down the road to get to the trails. I'm not really worried about setting up for Highway riding. I don't even care if I have a speedometer.

This will be my first time plating an off road bike, and there's a couple ways I can approach this. First option is I go with the absolute bare minimum needed to get it plated. For example, sticking to battery powered LED lighting knowing full well that it really is just for show to get the plate and not really practical to use.

The second option, is to really set it up right with charging system, etc (if you can even get a stator rewind for a 150 that can power decent lights) . This could be a nice option since I do live in a desert and having some serious lighting so we can ride at night in the hot summer would be pretty sweet.

I'd really like to hear opinions on which way I should go with this.

What products should I use? Are there any that are "must have"? Are there any you guys would like to see tested and publish a review for?

Are there any problems/issues I should watch out for or be aware of?

Depending on what products are used, I'll probably end up doing a how-to article or a blog about this build, so it's a good chance to test out some different products.

One other thing to consider is my wife tends to crash a lot, so while it's less concern on my 450, on my wife's 150 it would be smart to not have anything unnecessarily hanging off the bike that will easily snap off every time she hits the dirt.

Find out what equipment is mandated in your state before you buy anything. No need to spend $500 on a full Baja Designs DS kit and then another 100-150 on a stator rewind if all you need is a headlight and tail light to be legal. I'd be quite surprised if even after a re-wind or aftermarket generator, you would have much over 35-50W available for all lighting so I'd say only put on what you have to. Having the bike power your stuff is really the only way to fly IMO. Otherwise if your on a long ride the battery might die leaving you with no lights at all. Or, the battery is dead from a previous ride and didn't get put on the charger afterwards so now instead of being able to ride on a whim, you have to wait for the battery to charge up.

Get one of the H4 headlights and then check out the newer LED bulbs like the H4 unit Cyclops sells. Only draws 30W on high beam and 20W on low beam with the same (at minimum) light output as a 100W halogen. One of those in a BD headlight or a Polisport Halo would look good and work good without sucking all the power up. LED tail / brake lights suggested also for those bikes to keep draw to a minimum. No place for a battery?? Screw it! Look on Ebay for a used capacitor (called a condensor by Honda) from a kickstart TRX 450 4 wheeler. It's an OEM Honda part, can be had for $10 used and hidden just about anywhere on the bike with zip ties. No need for a battery unless you need one for inspection and your lights have to stay on for X amount of time without motor running or you plan on running HID lighting.

Start with finding out equipment requirements and that can narrow the list down quite a bit for ya. Good luck!!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

i know from doing mine, nev requires t/s,brake,hi/lo headlight,tailight,dot tires,horn, mirrors, they also require a inspection from a shop showing all the stuff is on ect. before you take bike to dmv for inspection. dmv is really nice,the inspector just looked at my form and glanced at the bike.nev dmv is so much nicer and organized than californias.

Did they check your headlight for high/low? I'm thinking of putting squadron lights on them, but they aren't dot but I really hate to wire up a standard headlight just to replace it with the squadron after its plated

I used LEDs on tail/brake after exploding several incandescent ones from vibration, even with the rubber "isolator" bulb mount in use.  Also used smaller LED honestly-flexible turn signal lights, after breaking off more than one larger incandescent "not-really-flexible" one  (not even from crashes, just from side impacts from brush/trees).  Added benefit, as stated above,  is that LEDs draw less wattage.

Depending on bike configuration, check rear fender for excessive movement with whatever light/license fixtures you install; some (most?) offroad bikes don't have frame in that area, to save weight.  As posted in several other threads, I used hose clamps and THICK metal plumber's tape to tie my rear fixtures in to the abbreviated rear frame tubes; totally eliminating rear fender flopping that was due to the mass added by lincense/tail/brake fixture (While I was at it, I cross-braced/tied in the rear turn signal mounts and fender-mounting fasteners to the plumber's tape as well, kind of all-in-one).  Finally, check for full travel of rear suspension with new/full-dimension rear tire clearance of whatever fixture/license plate/frame/clamps you have.

Enjoy and share your progress, please!

P.S.  I totally recommend having both strong battery and strong lighting (I went for the biggest Shorai specd for my bike---and the proper charger for it), and if recommended, a stator re-wind.  More than once I've unexpectedly needed (on-trail repairs, weather issues, etc.) strong nighttime lighting and have been exceedingly grateful I had it.

P.S.S.  Make sure rear lighting fixtures clear exhaust stream; I am second owner of converted dirt bike and had to correct such a "melt-inducing" mounting!

Edited by BSAVictor
  • Like 1

Anyone else find LED lights eye fatiguing?

I do. But I run a combo of a Osram 85W halogen bulb in the headlight and then 2 LED aux. Lights and that isn't bad at all. Straight LED is to white and washed out looking to me. Everything looks flat.

OK, so far I've found trail tech makes a flywheel/stator combo for the 150 that puts out 70 watts (same as what they offer for the CRF450). So, it looks like power output will no longer be a concern. Now, I have to figure out head lights. I really like the idea of having the massive light of the squadrons, but I have a feeling I will be hard pressed to get the bikes to pass inspection with those. 

Just wanted to add that the Tuff Lites flexible LED turn signal from Extreme Dual Sport seem to be very flexible, while the LED ones from Baja Designs don't stick out as much, are less flexible, and  are "pointed-shaped" toward the direction you are turning.  The Tuff Lites look like they might attract less LEO attention, 'cause they stick out more.  The Baja Designs LED turn signals might flex less on impact, and might, due to their "pointedness", be more prone to cause injury (but then a lot of things on a bike can cause injury if they hit you!).

I don't like to be stopped by LEOs, even though my equipment complies with law; it just wastes everybody's time.  That's why I think of installing things in a way that attracts less such attention.  Maybe some kind of quick-connect alternate set-ups could work for you?  Might take some work to design/install, but maybe would give you what you want.

Edited by BSAVictor
  • Like 1

Honestly I'd locate a used headlight assembly or go the standard BajaDesigns model, as with all my past converted dirt to dual-sports and the new Beta I have I rarely stay out after dark, and if so its just to head back from dinner at another campsite where just the min. output at least for me is acceptable, how many people do serious singletrack after dark, and if caught out after dark, how many especially with the wife are haulin ass?

Yeah killer headlights are cool, most rarely ever use them, especially after dark with the wife...

I was thinking of installing a HID in my new Beta, but it's not on my priority list at all. 

OK, so far I've found trail tech makes a flywheel/stator combo for the 150 that puts out 70 watts (same as what they offer for the CRF450). So, it looks like power output will no longer be a concern. Now, I have to figure out head lights. I really like the idea of having the massive light of the squadrons, but I have a feeling I will be hard pressed to get the bikes to pass inspection with those.

Good point, Mark.  I've found that my Baja Designs headlight provided fine enough light at night on a highway or a fairly black-diamond trail; I certainly wasn't going vey fast---maybe 60 mph on a clear paved road, 20mph max on the easy trail sections, and averaging 5 or 10 mph on the more difficult.  And with the BD headlight, there are hi-beam for a bit faster nighttime sections/roads and low-beam (for closer-by nighttime trail hazards), along with a pilot light I use in the daytime to save the battery.  I haven't ever planned on purpose to be riding offroad at night on trails that were at all challenging/remote---it was only because of a mechanical problem or because of separation (dumb, I know) from others in the riding party.