Sign in to follow this  

xr650l jetting

hi folks ,i live in barbados and wondering which jetting i should use for my 04 xr650l. it came with slide drilled to daves specs,desmogged, a dyno jet needle to 3rd clip and a 165 dj main, a 50 keihin pilot,a t4 exhaust and a k&r air filter. it runs ok from bottom to mid but feels as if it is falling off at top.oh yea an sometimes a popping when i come off the aceleration.

I'm about to play with my jetting. I'm about 650FT above sea level. There is alot of threads on stock carb mods. The stock jets for a stock 2014 bike is 152 for a main jet and 50 for the pilot. There is a roller on the side of the carb that contacts a cam when you open the throttle. I've read a thread that said to either bend the lever to take up the slack or add a piece of fuel line to increase the diameter of the roller. I opted to use a piece of clear fuel line to take up the slack ( maybe abit more but not much ) and it made a noticeable small difference for my bike. ( Now someone stated that perhaps the cam roller was worn out and the adjustment compensated for it, my bike is a 2014 with 2500KMs and has play and no wear on it stock from the factory to answer their question ). The pilot is stock it should be increased to maybe a 52 or a 55, the main is to high at 165 try a 155 with your 52 or 158 with your 55 ( I don't know your sea level ). I've read that some people jet to high causing problems also. Also make sure you remove your restriction on the air box.( snorkel )      I've desmogged, but left the oil separator alone ( some people call it the canister ) , removed the air box snorkel, taken up the slack from the cam roller on the right side of the carb, smoothed the welds on the inside of the stock exhaust and removed the rear plate on it, and drilled the slide, put a .024 shim under the main needle. ( You didn't state if that was done on yours, it needs done! ) I haven't re jetted yet cause for some reason the jets are back ordered till September something, then I plan on changing the air filter. But everything I did I did in steps and noticed differences each time. It seems that your missing some key points to what Dave and Brian set out with doing the carb mods. I think that your sea level isn't that high and the main is to large with no change to your pilot. Read some more on the subject and don't go to large, read your plug it will tell you!! WHITE=LEAN, TAN=Good, DARK or GLAZED=TOO RICH. Let me know I'm learning also, I will let you know when I do my jets and read my plug.

P.S.

I run only premium fuel and mine only backfires slightly sometimes now. Runs very strong, can't wait till I put jets in. They might be too small once I do air filter upgrade. Will let you know! 

I did the Dave Carb Mod but have an issue. My 2014 does not have a mixing screw to adjust. In its place is a brass soft plug. What the F.... I am wondering if there is an adjustment screw under the plug. A machinist said he could take it out, but it would have to go back in, since there is a reason for it being there. The factory doesn't wand the screw messed with I reasoned. Any suggestions or knowledge of this recent phenominon (sp?). Also, I capped all of the vents in the carb., unbsmoged/snorkle.