Sign in to follow this  

I have a KICKER motor that I want to put in my SM

as the title states....

I have a KICKER motor that I want to put in my SM

what does it involve other than swapping the motor out -

do i have to use the kicker harness? or can i use my stock harness and just remove the battery?

do i need to upgrade my stator?

any advice?

I want to do a step by step tutorial if i can get this planned out correctly

thanks in advance

If you use an SM CDI you can use your harness as is.. If you use an E or kicker CDI there will be a small adjustment. (ground out the kill button) 

im going to use the sm cdi

what do i do with the battery connections?  just leave them unplugged?

is it really as smple as swapping motors and re plugging in everything?

Edited by therealdaveyjones

im going to use the sm cdi

what do i do with the battery connections?  just leave them unplugged?

is it really as smple as swapping motors and re plugging in everything?

You will leave the battery in place or use those same wires to connect to the capacitor you use in place of a battery. 

Pretty much a direct swap.

You will leave the battery in place or use those same wires to connect to the capacitor you use in place of a battery. 

Pretty much a direct swap.

ok cool  i was hoping to remove the battery

im gonna have to research what a capacitor is a bit further as i am not great with electronics.

the kicker stator is ok?

I think you will be better off to keep the battery.  If you want to save weight, you can use one of the light weight batteries.  In this case size does not matter.  Any small amp hr battery will be fine.  The Kicker stator will do fine to provide enough power to run the motorcycle and charge the battery.

• Like 1

I think you will be better off to keep the battery.  If you want to save weight, you can use one of the light weight batteries.  In this case size does not matter.  Any small amp hr battery will be fine.  The Kicker stator will do fine to provide enough power to run the motorcycle and charge the battery.

ok i will leave the battery for the time being.

what should i do with the  black wire that connects to the top of the starter motor

ok i will leave the battery for the time being.

what should i do with the  black wire that connects to the top of the starter motor

Leave it, tape it or you can also follow it back to the relay and remove it at that point which is what I would do.

Leave it, tape it or you can also follow it back to the relay and remove it at that point which is what I would do.

Ok  remove it from the starter relay - sounds like the best plan of action -

should i remove the other cable and the starter relay altogether?

Ok  remove it from the starter relay - sounds like the best plan of action -

should i remove the other cable and the starter relay altogether?

Only if you want to start down the road of modifying the wiring harness.  That positive power wire at the far end is what attached to the pos post on your battery,, and a second wire powering the rest of the systems is tied into that terminal.  Easy enough to cut out the one wire add a new terminal and reconnect to the battery, thus sectioning out the heavy gauge power wire to the starter relay..  But at that point.. if you want to do that, then consider stripping down the entire harness to just what you need.

Or but a spare one and do it to that.

Only if you want to start down the road of modifying the wiring harness.  That positive power wire at the far end is what attached to the pos post on your battery,, and a second wire powering the rest of the systems is tied into that terminal.  Easy enough to cut out the one wire add a new terminal and reconnect to the battery, thus sectioning out the heavy gauge power wire to the starter relay..  But at that point.. if you want to do that, then consider stripping down the entire harness to just what you need.

Or but a spare one and do it to that.

so i can just remove that one black starter wire and leave the other wire intact?  forgive my dysfunctional eclectrical knowlegde

Or could just leave all the wiring in place for the future in case you want to revert back to an E start engine.

Or could just leave all the wiring in place for the future in case you want to revert back to an E start engine.

im going to just remove or tie up that one wire - the rest im going to leave in place