Sign in to follow this  

Octane or ethanol-free

First post. My son got a demo ride 2 weeks ago and decided we needed bikes. I bought a 2006 CRF250R. Probably not the best choice for a starter bike but it was so clean, I couldn't pass it up.

The owner said it is completely stock and the manual calls for 91 octane. I've been learning about bikes while troubleshooting my son's TTR125 and everyone is blaming ethanol for the carb issues.

My question: if I can only get 90 octane ethanol free by me, is that sufficient for my bike, or is the 91 octane critical?

Thanks

First post. My son got a demo ride 2 weeks ago and decided we needed bikes. I bought a 2006 CRF250R. Probably not the best choice for a starter bike but it was so clean, I couldn't pass it up.

The owner said it is completely stock and the manual calls for 91 octane. I've been learning about bikes while troubleshooting my son's TTR125 and everyone is blaming ethanol for the carb issues.

My question: if I can only get 90 octane ethanol free by me, is that sufficient for my bike, or is the 91 octane critical?

Thanks

90 octane ethanol free is 100% fine. Better than 91 e10/15

• Like 1

Thanks! Thats what I figured, but I see other people talking about running 101 in their Rs and don't want to mess it up. The guy I bought it from said he ran 93 in it. With a lifetime total of about 5 min on a bike, Im not going to be running it hard anyway!

Thanks! Thats what I figured, but I see other people talking about running 101 in their Rs and don't want to mess it up. The guy I bought it from said he ran 93 in it. With a lifetime total of about 5 min on a bike, Im not going to be running it hard anyway!

alot of people like to waste money to make themselves feel better. Stock this bike does not need anything more.

• Like 1