Sign in to follow this  

165 lbs break in

I want to break in a new CRF150r for wife. Don't want the bike to be putted around during break in. I weigh about 165 lbs, do you think the stock bike will be ok with me on it for first 15 minutes if I dont hit any jumps and dont push the revs? Weight limit is 150 lbs. I just dont want to "stretch" anything if you know what I mean.

I want to break in a new CRF150r for wife. Don't want the bike to be putted around during break in. I weigh about 165 lbs, do you think the stock bike will be ok with me on it for first 15 minutes if I dont hit any jumps and dont push the revs? Weight limit is 150 lbs. I just dont want to "stretch" anything if you know what I mean.

putting around works for a 4 stroke break in just fine . All you want to do is put a few heat cycles through it. Get it hot then let it cool, do it 3-4 times then let it rip

Dang, I wish you would have said no problem with me breaking it in, but I guess thats selfish, I really want to ride this bike! Thanks for the input.

Couple different schools of thought on break-in...

One is "take it easy"; the other is "ride it like you stole it"

Rings need combustion pressure to force them against the cylinder walls, which "taking it easy" doesn't do well. On the other hand, excessive revs by "riding it like you stole it" Can glaze the cylinder walls, resulting in poor ring sealing.

All the gears, bearings, cams, etc. need their respective surfaces to mate as well. This mating results in a lot of wear metal in the oil.

I break in the bikes for my wife and kid because I know they won't ride them hard enough to properly seat the rings.

After installing a new piston, I'll run the bike for a couple minutes to get some heat into the engine, shut it down then let it sit for about 15 minutes. That's not to let it cool, but to allow the heat to sink into all the parts. Then, I'll take the bike out and ride it relatively hard for 10-15 minutes, keeping the bike in several gears higher than normal, staying off the limiter and avoiding steady throttle inputs... Basically, I use a series of WFO acceleration runs to get cylinder pressure up; the goal is to keep a load on the engine.

After that, I let the bike cool a little bit and change the oil. Break-in complete.

For a new bike, the same procedure would apply, but change the oil after each ride for the first 5-10 hours or so; this is to flush out wear metaIs. I would also repack all chassis bearings with a high-quality waterproof grease before taking it out; the factory is a little cheap when it comes to grease.

• Like 2

Couple different schools of thought on break-in...

One is "take it easy"; the other is "ride it like you stole it"

Rings need combustion pressure to force them against the cylinder walls, which "taking it easy" doesn't do well. On the other hand, excessive revs by "riding it like you stole it" Can glaze the cylinder walls, resulting in poor ring sealing.

All the gears, bearings, cams, etc. need their respective surfaces to mate as well. This mating results in a lot of wear metal in the oil.

I break in the bikes for my wife and kid because I know they won't ride them hard enough to properly seat the rings.

After installing a new piston, I'll run the bike for a couple minutes to get some heat into the engine, shut it down then let it sit for about 15 minutes. That's not to let it cool, but to allow the heat to sink into all the parts. Then, I'll take the bike out and ride it relatively hard for 10-15 minutes, keeping the bike in several gears higher than normal, staying off the limiter and avoiding steady throttle inputs... Basically, I use a series of WFO acceleration runs to get cylinder pressure up; the goal is to keep a load on the engine.

After that, I let the bike cool a little bit and change the oil. Break-in complete.

For a new bike, the same procedure would apply, but change the oil after each ride for the first 5-10 hours or so; this is to flush out wear metaIs. I would also repack all chassis bearings with a high-quality waterproof grease before taking it out; the factory is a little cheap when it comes to grease.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am familiar with different opinions on break in. My main concern was if I were to do it (couple of 15 min. rides) that my weight at 165 lbs would stress the suspession on this particular bike with a wieght limit of 150 lbs. Being brand new (and my wifes) I dont want to cause any problems. Probably wouldnt think about it for a smaller bike but this CRF is very close to a big boys machine.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am familiar with different opinions on break in. My main concern was if I were to do it (couple of 15 min. rides) that my weight at 165 lbs would stress the suspession on this particular bike with a wieght limit of 150 lbs. Being brand new (and my wifes) I dont want to cause any problems. Probably wouldnt think about it for a smaller bike but this CRF is very close to a big boys machine.

Yeah, sorry, got on a tangent. FWIW, I'm about 160, and I ride the piss out of my wife's bike; I'm sure your wife's bike will be fine with you breaking it in... Tho the stock suspension will bottom fairly easily if you jump it. Edited by mjruopp

Your weight will help the suspension break in so you can get proper sag numbers. A lot of riders adjust the clickers to full soft for several hrs of riding to get the same results.

Remember it's not a weight limit it's a weight suggestion lol. I race a 150rb and I'm around 160 with all my gear on. I wouldn't worry about it. My advice would be just ride like you do anything else.