Sign in to follow this  

Florida Learning to ride in central FL

My son got an hour demo at a Honda event in Toronto a couple weeks ago and fell in love. Ive never ridden but we went out and bought bikes. Still looking for boots and a trailer, but we are almost ready to go. How do you learn safety, and, ideally, become a better rider faster? I see there are MX classes at East Bay and Sunshine, but they seem oriented toward MX racing, and we're both looking to learn how to just ride. I also noticed on Croom's site, a refernce to a law that requires my son complete a class before riding on public land.

I'm just looking for general experience from anyone who has already figured all this stuff out.. We got the bug, but his baseball coach will kill me if I get him injured on a dirt bike :)

Where do you live? My wife and i are looking for people to ride croom with. I have a private short track in my back yard. I used to train harescramblers on the weekend years ago lol. If your interested let me know you all can come up and we can work on some skill building. I am still working with my wife and setting her up to be faster in the single track stuff. My track is located 10mins from croom.

• Like 1

darksidemxer, thats awesome! I appreciate the offer. We live in Westchase and I don't really want to teach my son its ok to ride anywhere as long as you don't get caught. I am still going to look into that Closed Range Exercises course from dirtbikeschool.org, just to stay legal, but we are anxious to get out there. Need to find boots today and the rest of his protective gear comes in tomorrow.

We just need someone to teach us the basics so we can not be a threat to everyone else on the trails at Croom. He has about 60 min riding and I have about 5 min (and a bike that is way too powerful). I'll PM you my contact info. My neighbor rides, but it would be great to have some other riding buddies, especially if you would be willing to teach a bit :)

I hear that nobody checks for the juvenile cert, but it is a probably a good thing to have IMO. Niether of my two have it, but it can be done online.

What bikes did you buy?

Edited by bronc3
  • Like 1

Going to croom this weekend. Maybe nxt u guys swing by my track?

How big is your track? We have a small woods track at the house, but it is only suitable for our play bikes - 125L/150 max.

Edited by bronc3

My track is small as well but it is very tough lol. 5 laps and ur feeling it. Lotta clutch work. We run the big bikes on it np. Itcertainly is better for teaching but i enjoy it, mainly because i gotta work so hard to go fast on it.

Actually here is a video some friends shot while screwing around in the back yard. At 4:40 u can see how long the track is and what it consists of.

Messing around in Eds private track with the dirt…:

Bronc3, thanks. I agree that I wan him to get the training (and me too!).

Darksidemxer, we get home Sat night and I'd like to get up there Sun. I never ordered the carb kit for my sin's TTR125, so I guess we just ride and fix it later. I'll text you to see what you're up to. I'm really just looking for an open field so we can get comfortable on the bikes. But I haven't had time to register bikes yet, so I don't think we can get our Croom passes.

I got an open field as well as the track :D shoot me a txt saturday but sunday will probly work just fine. I might be hitting croom alone so if ya'll come by sunday my wife will end up riding her bike too; which would make me happy.

BTW, back to the subject of that class, the state required school replied to my voicemail and told me they have no classes scheduled at the Brooksville location so I'm on my own :)

Thanks Bills. Do they run classes? I only see a link to the same website the state recommends. There are no classes scheduled for Brooksville and the next closest place I can find is in New Smyrna Beach.

No classes, but come to a race and you will meet lots of helpful people.  Same with Croom.  Everyone is friendly (except the quad guys).

You can learn a lot by watching too.

• Like 1

Got it. Thank you. And so far, my experience has been the same. I've already met someone up in Brooksville who spent a couple hours working with me. This seems like a great community I never knew about!

Edited by satypos

Actually here is a video some friends shot while screwing around in the back yard. At 4:40 u can see how long the track is and what it consists of.

Messing around in Eds private track with the dirt…:

Cool backyard track, I'd ride it and have fun.

Yeah don't mind me. I'm still a newb and at the time that was my third time out I believe. Darksidemxer whips me into shape !

• Like 1