Sign in to follow this  

220lb too heavy for 175lb springs for trail riding?

I just recently moved to California.  I'm getting back into riding after a 7 year hiatus due to no riding areas where I previously lived.  Now, I live in heaven. :-)  Anyway, I just bought a 2011 KTM 450 and am getting it ready for the riding season which starts in a month.  It has super low hours, and the previous rider had Race Tech suspension set up for his 175 lb frame.  In the past I always rode my bikes with the stock springs even on motocross tracks when I weighed about 195lb.  I'm a beginner level rider.  Now, I weigh 220 and will just be riding trails etc.  Will the springs be too soft for me, even if I set them as stiff as possible?  

Set your race and static sag, and if you have to preload the spring so much that it compresses completely before going through all of the shock's travel, then you need stiffer springs. You could also take a look at Racetech's spring calculator and see what springs are recommended for your weight and riding style. The shock's current spring rate should be on the side of the spring, and if it's pretty close to what's recommended, then you should be able to get by.

• Like 1

Of course you are too heavy. However you could get away with it if you really don't care too much. The right springs for not much money (second hand) will make the bike much more enjoyable to ride. As the old saying goes, the best you know is the best you've ridden. Just don't ride someone else's bike setup for your weight and you'll be ok. ;)

• Like 1

Great advice guys.  I actually looked up the RaceTech website and found that they suggest slightly lighter springs than stock for my body weight, due to my riding style and age. lol  Anyway, I will try out the stock settings with proper sag etc., and see what happens.

Thanks