Sign in to follow this  

2009 exc200 help

I have a 2009 exc200 and I only got it yesterday and I unscrewed the plug to the gearbox oil and I could see the clutch plates and I couldn't see any oil is that normal? should I top it up so I can see the oil? or is that how it was meant to be? please help I'm new to this bike and don't want to seize it up.  

I have a 2009 exc200 and I only got it yesterday and I unscrewed the plug to the gearbox oil and I could see the clutch plates and I couldn't see any oil is that normal? should I top it up so I can see the oil? or is that how it was meant to be? please help I'm new to this bike and don't want to seize it up.

Should be a second plug on the side, remove that plug and see if any comes out while the bike is level. Edited by ridngslikecrack

I believe it is right next to the swingarm bolt visible in this pic. Or in front of cover?

Its about level with the orange letters on clutch cover.

It only holds about a quart.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

Not sure about an '09 200, but my on '07 300 I remove the small bolt as shown in the picture.  With the bike level oil should drip from the hole.  Not sure if you should be seeing clutch plates, unless you're referring to the oil fill plug...

KTMengine_zps40638d5e.jpg

• Like 1

i was reffering to the small black plug that you unscrew on top of the gear box. 

Not sure about an '09 200, but my on '07 300 I remove the small bolt as shown in the picture.  With the bike level oil should drip from the hole.  Not sure if you should be seeing clutch plates, unless you're referring to the oil fill plug...

KTMengine_zps40638d5e.jpg

i was reffering to the small black plug that you unscrew on top of the gear box.

Fattonz might be right on your 200 also. its the bolt almost level with the writing on clutch cover.

Should be visible with that plug out.

Also has a drain plug underneath the engine, if you change the oil.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

You should definitely not be able to see the oil level when looking in the filler plug from the top.  If you could, it would be grossly overfilled.  Your manual should have directions on how to check oil level if the method described in my previous post does not apply to your 2009 KTM motorcyle.....

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 1

You should definitely not be able to see the oil level when looking in the filler plug from the top.  If you could, it would be grossly overfilled.  Your manual should have directions on how to check oil level if the method described in my previous post does not apply to your 2009 KTM motorcyle.....

I unscrewed the bolt and nothing came out and so i poured a little bit of oil in there and it still nothing then i kept doing that until oil started to come from that hole then i screwd the bolt back in and put the plug back in is that the right way?  

I unscrewed the bolt and nothing came out and so i poured a little bit of oil in there and it still nothing then i kept doing that until oil started to come from that hole then i screwd the bolt back in and put the plug back in is that the right way?  

So long as the bike was perfectly level at the time, then yes :thumbsup:

If you did it with the bike on the kickstand, then it will be overfilled.....

Edited by Fattonz

Yep.

You got it.

yeah i had the bike on a milk crate on a tyre and it was level, thanks for the help guys really appriciated im not new to matainance im only new to it on this bike and i was really worried about doing it wrong so i will probably be making more forums like this one so thanks again.

So long as the bike was perfectly level at the time, then yes :thumbsup:

If you did it with the bike on the kickstand, then it will be overfilled.....

yeah i had the bike on a milk crate on a tyre and it was level, thanks for the help guys really appriciated im not new to matainance im only new to it on this bike and i was really worried about doing it wrong so i will probably be making more forums like this one so thanks again.

You're welcome :thumbsup: