Sign in to follow this  

Valve guide broke.

I was riding my kxf250 09 and the bike just suddenly stopped! I couldn't start it back up and the compression was a little lower. I took the engine apart and there was damage on the piston (little dents). The bottom of the head also had the same damage in the same place.

Thats when i recognise the end of the valve guide had snapped off some how! But it had obviously been going around piston and head. Valves are fine, so is the barrel.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407069371.980764.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407069388.305118.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407069411.808341.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407069431.190283.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407069446.417391.jpg

Ive ordered a new piston kit and there is no sign of the bit of metal. So i dont know whats happened to it. And it hasnt dropped into the bottom end. It may of gone out of the exhaust!

But how would this metal stop the bike from running? Do i need a new one because i cant find any!? Or will it be okay riding how it is?

Please help.

It probably went out the exhaust.

You need to replace the guide or you could break a valve and cause huge damage to the motor.

Dont run it like that.     

the guide keeps the valve in place and when valves are moving at the speed they do and when the valve guide is stuffed then you are at a very good risk of lunching your engine,I personally wouldn't trust a valve that has hit the piston,worn or in your case broken valve guides will allow the valve to have excessive sideways movement then will just break and will snow ball from there

Its common for the guides to fracture when the valves are bent.

Is this bike new to you? Do you know its past history?

Do you know if its ever had bent intake valves?

If this is due to fatigue, this is the first time I've seen of this and is just another example of the poor quality of parts coming from Kawasaki these days.

Edited by nesc103y

Its common for the guides to fracture when the valves are bent.

Is this bike new to you? Do you know its past history?

Do you know if its ever had bent intake valves?

If this is due to fatigue, this is the first time I've seen of this and is just another example of the poor quality of parts coming from Kawasaki these days.

the guide keeps the valve in place and when valves are moving at the speed they do and when the valve guide is stuffed then you are at a very good risk of lunching your engine,I personally wouldn't trust a valve that has hit the piston,worn or in your case broken valve guides will allow the valve to have excessive sideways movement then will just break and will snow ball from there