Sign in to follow this  

Hammerhead brake pedal review

Put one of these on a couple of weeks ago.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407070189.767645.jpg

I must say I never felt like I had any control or feel from the rear brakes. They were just no brakes until full lock with the flimsy stock rear brake pedal. Installed hammerhead assembly and I can control the rear brake a lot more with the forged pedal. The arm is stiffer which actually gives more controlled input. I now feel more likely to use the rear brake where before I had almost forgot the pedal was there cause it would lock up and get me in trouble. You can get the tip in any color you want and the tip is adjustable as to how far forward or back that you mount the tip for bigger or smaller feet. It may look like just bling but I am very pleased with the fit and function of this item.

Hmm, very interesting Confederate, and does that pedal have the folding, hinged tip to reduce the chance of bending? It looks fairly thin in profile compared to some factory aluminum brake pedals, do you feel it's stout enough? How about weight compared to stock?

I have there shifter and brake pedal on my 150f.

They work as well as stock but IMO, I did not notice any braking improvement.

I did have to modify it somewhat to clear the kick start lever.

Bet then again, my only goal was weight savings.

No folding tip. It is forged aluminum which is stiffer than the steel factory piece. Forged aluminum is less apt to bend than cnc machined billet, yet it's stiffness would make it break before bend. I could bend the factory steel piece inward by simply standing too hard on it. Then the brake pedal would hang on the frame and not release totally. Even hung factory piece in kudzu vines and it bent the pedal out once. Not that it makes the drum any better, I can just feel the brake thru the pedal more now because of the reduction of flex at the arm. And no I did not weigh it, but it has to be lighter.

I run the hammerhead stuff on my 450 and think it improves the feel.  It takes the flex out of the controls and allows you to be more precise.  Funny you post this, I was riding my 150 pretty aggressive at the motocross track yesterday and was thinking the exact same thing.  It was very difficult to manage the rear brake due to the flex in the pedal.  Especially if there were braking bumps.

No folding tip. It is forged aluminum which is stiffer than the steel factory piece. Forged aluminum is less apt to bend than cnc machined billet, yet it's stiffness would make it break before bend. I could bend the factory steel piece inward by simply standing too hard on it. Then the brake pedal would hang on the frame and not release totally. Even hung factory piece in kudzu vines and it bent the pedal out once. Not that it makes the drum any better, I can just feel the brake thru the pedal more now because of the reduction of flex at the arm. And no I did not weigh it, but it has to be lighter.

I see pics of Hammerhead's folding tip for adding onto stock brake pedals, so I'm guessing it could be added to yours later too? I was gonna add it to my stock pedal but I'm getting good at re-bending the stock pedal in a vice and maybe the brake snake is really working? Hardly see a crf-f out there that doesn't have a mangled brake pedal!

I see this is one instance that it's a different design for the '06 and newer vs prior for both the 150f and 230f? Which is yours Confederate?

Is the length of the short arm from the pivot to the rod longer?

This would make the rear brake less powerful but also require less distance to actuate.

Sometimes a less powerful rear brake is a much better and more easily controlled thing.

Is the length of the short arm from the pivot to the rod longer?

This would make the rear brake less powerful but also require less distance to actuate.

Sometimes a less powerful rear brake is a much better and more easily controlled thing.

Didn't measure before install but side by side that looked the same the pedal part is a little longer and there are several different mounting holes for the pedal part so yo can adjust it forward or back to fit foot size.
  • Like 1