Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about 2nd Bike

I've had my first bike, the DR-Z, for a little over a year now. Finding 95% of my riding is commuting. I'm starting to think about something a bit better mannered, and accommodating for my wife. Always wanted a Monster. Started lusting for a 690 Enduro R. Went Dorsoduro, Hyperstrada... Lately, it has been FZ-09, Street Triple, and now, Scrambler.

What do you think of the Scrambler for basic transportation with light hooliganism and offroad? What I don't like most is that it doesn't seem to make much more power than the DR-Z.

Edited by blakestree

The Scrambler would be neat to have and probably a lot of fun.  I think it's got the monster 696 motor (dyno around 65 hp I think?) in it so it should have a good bit more power than the DRZ.  Personally, I would go for the FZ09.  That torque curve is just awesome and the motor sounds incredible. 

• Like 1

I think it's got the monster 696 motor (dyno around 65 hp I think?) in it so it should have a good bit more power than the DRZ.

It is 865cc, but only making 58 hp. :jawdrop:  We're talking 100+ with the FZ-09 & STR.

I rode a mid 2000s monster. I wasn't all that impressed.  The suzuki sv650 is an awesome bike, abundant and relatively cheap. I would upgrade the seat on it though.  Scrambler looks like a blast.  Strictly speaking the ergonomics of the bike, the setup/riding position of the fz9 felt better than the speed triple to me...plus the price tag.

Having a larger displacement and more 2 up friendly bike in the stable is a nice addition.  My gf rode on the back of the drz once.  Between the stock seat and the MRD exhaust she wasn't having it.  No complaints on my 919 with corbin seat.

You have a lot of bikes in mind, I'd say go sit on em and see what dealerships will let you test ride.

And here is a video of scramblers being how they're suppose to be :ride:

Edited by Marzzz
  • Like 1

i ride a 2013 ninja 636..im waiting for the fz-09 used market in a year or 2...just have to fix the abrupt throttle issue

i ride a 2013 ninja 636..im waiting for the fz-09 used market in a year or 2...just have to fix the abrupt throttle issue

I figure after riding the DR-Z its throttle would be like silk.

You have a lot of bikes in mind, I'd say go sit on em and see what dealerships will let you test ride.

A big :thumbsup: to that!

• Like 1

I rode a mid 2000s monster. I wasn't all that impressed.  The suzuki sv650 is an awesome bike, abundant and relatively cheap. I would upgrade the seat on it though.  Scrambler looks like a blast.  Strictly speaking the ergonomics of the bike, the setup/riding position of the fz9 felt better than the speed triple to me...plus the price tag.

Having a larger displacement and more 2 up friendly bike in the stable is a nice addition.  My gf rode on the back of the drz once.  Between the stock seat and the MRD exhaust she wasn't having it.  No complaints on my 919 with corbin seat.

And here is a video of scramblers being how they're suppose to be :ride:

Nice vid,   the seat looks so comfy on that bike,  thats the only thing i could focus on,  lol

• Like 1

It is 865cc, but only making 58 hp. :jawdrop:  We're talking 100+ with the FZ-09 & STR.

Wow, that is pretty low.  Bet it's got a ton of torque though.

So when you say scrambler, do you mean Triumph or Ducati?

I've had a lot of bikes over the 10 years I've been riding. The DRZ is my most recent (10th). I still own my 8th, a Ducati Sport Classic 1000. While the idea of a super sexy exotic seems like a good idea and you can pay for the bike, why wouldn't you? Well, the Sport Classic sits in the garage most of the time and I ride the DRZ most of the time. Why? It's more fun, parts are cheap, mods are cheap, maintenence is easy and cheap, insurance is cheap, I'm not constantly worried about it, and it's more fun. I do understand the part about riding two up, but the Duc is a monoposto (single seater) anyways, so...

Anyways, I see from the list that you kinda like doing mods. I want a new exhaust for my ducati. $2000 for the exhaust and another $300 to reprogram the ECU. That's about what I paid for my DRZ... I'll probably never replace the exhaust...

• Like 1

I should clarify, the Sport Classic 1000 is the most gorgeous bike to ever come out of any factory in the history of ever, and is so special to ride. It makes such good noises and has more italian character and soul than it knows what to do with. But it is completely impractical, and I haven't even had to adjust valves yet. When I do the heads probably will need to come off for valve guides, because apparently Ducati messed them up and now it's my problem. Such is life

So when you say scrambler, do you mean Triumph or Ducati?

I've had a lot of bikes over the 10 years I've been riding. The DRZ is my most recent (10th). I still own my 8th, a Ducati Sport Classic 1000. While the idea of a super sexy exotic seems like a good idea and you can pay for the bike, why wouldn't you? Well, the Sport Classic sits in the garage most of the time and I ride the DRZ most of the time. Why? It's more fun, parts are cheap, mods are cheap, maintenence is easy and cheap, insurance is cheap, I'm not constantly worried about it, and it's more fun.

Sorry, I was talking about the Triumph. And, yeah that is a great advantage of the DR-Z, I'm not that concerned with what happens to it.

I also kind of want a second bike,  or maybe a different bike,  For DualSport the S model is great,   now that i converted mine to a SM ,  i would love to have more power and be able to do 75 at lower RPM'S while street riding,   i feel like im killing this bike when doing 75+ for long periods at a time... 

• Like 1

I also kind of want a second bike,  or maybe a different bike,  For DualSport the S model is great,   now that i converted mine to a SM ,  i would love to have more power and be able to do 75 at lower RPM'S while street riding,   i feel like im killing this bike when doing 75+ for long periods at a time... 

While I agree that it feels like it, it won't really hurt the bike. It's just not the best tool for that job.  It's more wear on the rider than anything.  75mph for long stretches on the DRZ is a lot a vibes and wind blast.  If you can find a way to keep the DRZ and get another bike for longer freeway rides, that's the way to go.  Wish I could have kept mine, but finances just didn't allow for it.

• Like 2

buy a harley :devil:

i did :ride:

• Like 1

buy a harley :devil:

i did :ride:

Dont listen to this Silver Tongued Devil! Every time a person buys a Harley a puppy is kidnapped and forced to become a gang member!  I swear its in the the paper work that you sign! and here is a picture if you dont believe me!!! And if you trade in the DRZ for a Harley then not only does a puppy get kidnapped but a Australian Kangaroo gets kidnapped forced to become a Gangsta! Do you really wanna be the cause of Puppies and Kangaroos becoming degenerates???? ill let you decided from the pics below!

Funny-Gangster-Animal-6.jpg

gangsta dog.jpg

• Like 4

I've had my first bike, the DR-Z, for a little over a year now. Finding 95% of my riding is commuting. I'm starting to think about something a bit better mannered, and accommodating for my wife. Always wanted a Monster. Started lusting for a 690 Enduro R. Went Dorsoduro, Hyperstrada... Lately, it has been FZ-09, Street Triple, and now, Scrambler.

What do you think of the Scrambler for basic transportation with light hooliganism and offroad? What I don't like most is that it doesn't seem to make much more power than the DR-Z.

forget your list of 'possible' bikes. take the wife to all the dealers in your area this saturday, and sit on ALL the bikes with her. when she says she likes it, narrow the list and then look at all the similar bikes to that one. if it's a gs1150, hardley ableson, triumph tiger, or whatever, go with that. FORGET LOOKS, name, brand, horsepower, everything, and go with her butt. ahem, if you're not sitting on all the scooters, both maxi and mini, you're doing it wrong. :-) 

• Like 1

Dont listen to this Silver Tongued Devil! Every time a person buys a Harley a puppy is kidnapped and forced to become a gang member!  I swear its in the the paper work that you sign! and here is a picture if you dont believe me!!! And if you trade in the DRZ for a Harley then not only does a puppy get kidnapped but a Australian Kangaroo gets kidnapped forced to become a Gangsta! Do you really wanna be the cause of Puppies and Kangaroos becoming degenerates???? ill let you decided from the pics below!

its cool, I'm a cat person. dogs smell and kangaroos are messy

• Like 1

Holy crap! Have you guys seen the new Ducati Scramblers? The Urban Enduro is tasty!!!

ducati-urban-enduro.jpg

Edited by blakestree
  • Like 1

i dunno, im sure its just me but that thing looks ugly and way too 'retro' for my taste ..  if that was half the price of an fz09 i'd rather have the yamaha .. my old 78 kz650 had similar lines and was more pimp than that thing, so if you like that look i could suggest picking up an old 70's kz for about 500 bucks, slap those tires on it and presto, you'd have pretty much the same thing ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1