Sign in to follow this  

Trying to remove left side balancer bearing...can't.

Hi,

I'm doing a rebuild with a new crankshaft, main bearings and balancer bearings. I have a bearing puller and am trying to remove the left side balancer bearing and it won't budge. I have read where people are using heat and putting it in an oven but won't the heat damage all of the the other oil seals (clutch lifter, shift lever, etc.). I tried using a heat gun on the area around the bearing but it still won't move.

I'm afraid I'll break something if I try to use too much force...or am I being a wimp about it? More force, more heat?

Thanks, Steve

I am replacing the main bearing and counter balance seals but didn't bring back the other seals (to Senegal) because I didn't think I would have to change them. Would an oven be too much for them? Do you think If I apply the heat gun only to the main and counter balance areas of the case the other seals l would be safe?

Thanks.

Yes, the other seals are far enough away to not be affected by a localized torch.

They would not however survive an oven over 220F.

BTW...for the $ 10-12 total for the other seals, it's always good practice to change them when rebuilding an engine.

#1 You prob didnt need to replace that bearing.

#2 If you are struggling to get it out how in the world do you think you are gonna get that one in? (just a hint, it is a more difficult one of all in the case to get in AND out)

To properly replace the bearings in these cases you need to heat the case.....the whole case and most (all but this particular one) of the the bearings fall out. This bearing requires the use of a blind bearing puller AND heat.

To get it in without wasting your cases you need to heat the case to 200f and freeze the bearings, they will fall right in with no effort. "pressing" or "pounding" these in is not the way to do it.

Good luck. IMO the R&R of that particular bearing is prob the most difficult part of re-building the Honda 450.

• Like 1

IMO the R&R of that particular bearing is prob the most difficult part of re-building the Honda 450.

I would agree, except every other month, I get somebody walking in with a case half asking me to remove a bearing for them...sure no problem, which one? The oil pump bearings...

Really?!?  Those were bad?

I don't know if they were bad, but I tried to remove them and they are bad now... :facepalm: