Disbursed camping off the trail, any suggestions?

Guys, I recently rode up Windy Pass out of Taneum and thought to myself "man, this would be a good place to camp". Anybody know if its legal to camp off the trails up there? Or any other good areas to ride out of and camp out off the trail here in Wa.? Trying to get one solid trip in while the mountains are open. Thanks in advance for any tips!

You can camp any were you want off the trail's. Bring a good water filter unless

you want to risk getting giardia aka beaver fever. I have had a few friends go

through it over the years. Not a pretty story.

The Mad river, Blue creek meadow's, Two Little Lakes and Lost lake are nice

, just bring the bug juice. They are all closed right now because of the

Kelly mtn fire (its 100% contained but still burning)

• Like 2

Thanks Steve, I got my water filtration setup so that should be no problem. Sounds like Taneum is the way to go based on fire conditions, do I need a permit from the ranger station? I'm guessing fires are prohibited but a backpacking stove to boil water would be acceptable? Anybody interested in going out or know of an ideal spot?

While we have a hot dry west side I'd suggest riding/camping the Olympics . When the rain returns go back to the heat and dust.    Water?  we have one guy using a gravity filter system, an other using a ultra violet. 

SUNP0003.JPG

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 1

I've been sleeping in a skeeter beeter pro hammock for years.  Lightweight, easy to pack, and always the same excellent nights sleep.  If it's at all cold, you'll need a pad--you'll understand why after that first night you don't.

I've made a few converts out of my riding buddies, too.  We've camped/fished the backside of Manastash lake a few times.  Camping stoves are great!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...