Sign in to follow this  

Trying to decide on knee braces :/

Yeah yeah, due to this latest knee injury and not being able to afford to take off work for 4+ months I was told to get braces. Yes I can get the Doc note and go through insuranceicon1.png for CTI's but (yes the dreaded BUT) I still have to pay 40 to 50% of said braces. So, as you can see my dilemma here. Pay 1500 + (yes that is abut half price) or pay 699 or 599  ;)

So which do I get?? I will also have to wear while shopping the Malls hehe.

Asterisk Ultra Cell for 699

http://www.motosport...Cell-Knee-Brace

Or the new Leatt C Frame for 599

http://www.motosport...ame-Knee-Braces

So need these before my next race as I plan to try and ride this Wednesday just to see if 8 weeks was enough time off hehe

Debi, the most important thing is that your brace fits properly. If it's not custom to you, or doesn't fit you right, then you create new pressure points that can become a danger in themselves.

After I had my knee injury I bought an Edge Aspire brace (OTS- "off the shelf") online and was incredibly fortunate to have it fit me perfect but I'm kinda boy shaped so not a ton on curve. I also then got a custom CTI brace which was fabulous for its weight and profile but just never sat properly on me when I skied, even though it was a custom. NEVER buy someone else's custom brace unless you're sure you're pretty much identical in shape and feel they fit you right.

OTS is what these other braces are and they're going for the "average". If you fit them and that's where your budget/comfort is then hopefully good enough. If you do alot of sport (which you sound like you do) I'd put my money in to the custom (CTIs in particular) unless those OTS fit perfect.

I do warn you about custom- the frames are still "stock" to some degree and then they do different bends, etc.. in my case I think my leg was a little too long for the CTI shorty frame and a little too short for the long frame so my brace was never quite right and I was able to lift the brace away from my leg when I extendeded, much to the disgust of the Orthotics guy who said he'd never saw that before. I gave up and wore my OTS one for 1 year until my leg muscles were strong enough to no longer use the brace. A brace is never a substitution for leg strength so exercises are a fact of life for knee people.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I had CTI's but lost them and just can't see spending that kinda $$$ again right now. I need something right away as the CTI's will take some time to come in :(

I have heard nothing but good reviews on the Asterisks but the new C frames look like more of what I might need but Oh well LOL...

I guess I need to find a shop that has some in stock and go try them on :D

Thanks again for the input :D

hi debi

I've had 3 operations on my knees and like you could not afford the cti's,have a look at the POD K300 or even the K700 i am very happy with the fit etc 

• Like 1