Sign in to follow this  

Sprocket and chain advice

Hi guys , can you tell me what the stock sprocket sizes are for a 2006 crf 450 x ? I am going to replace my sprockets and chain , I'm also thinking of going up one tooth on the counter sprocket to make it more trail rideable ..... Any recommendations on sprocket brands/ steel or alum and chain brands. ??

Thanks

Ok so if I went 14/51 how would that setup run ?? For trail riding .

Thanks

kind of a personal thing --- i have done a bit of experimentation and went back to 13/51 for trail riding  - in my area -  i would rather be able to use the gears a bit than just be stuck in 1st and 2nd the whole ride on tighter trails   (tight as in they have hosted a couple of national enduros at my home riding area - which sadly, is the territory that KTM 2 strokes strart to make sense - :lol: ) 

For me, running a 14t countershaft caused the engine to lug so much i was lugging around and stalling too much (even with a Rekluse Core) -  14/51 or 14/50  would work better for me for MX, but i do straight up moto so little these days its not even worth swapping wheels and sprockets for --- the guys out west speak of running 14/48 setups often in the dirt or even taller if desert racing

I personally like the 14 CS sprocket. It widens the transmission and allows you to wind out each gear a bit more.

I normally run 14/47, and for longer desert races we run 15/47.

I run 14/50 and feel I can do whatever (65mph cruise between the trails and also trail riding).  I run Ironman sprockets, they seem to wear very little.  

Edit:  I would switch out to my old 13 if I was literally running singletrack ALL day.  but for the short sections, the 14 is fine for me.

Edited by driver3

I'm going to order a kit from rocky Mountian atv. , in stock sprocket sizing and order a 14. Tooth counter sprocket to try also. .

I run a Renthal 49T twin-ring spocket along with a 14T countershaft on an '05 CRF450X and the gearing suits me perfectly. I ride dual-sport and this combination does 65MPH in the sweetspot of the powerband and offers plenty of low-end power on the trails. As for the rear sprocket it's the longest lasting most durable off-road sprocket you can buy... hands down. Use a DID X-ring VT-2 chain and your ready to fly. On the street the RPM transition is smooth, acceleration is unbeatable and on the tighter trails using the first two gears is all you need.

I run a Renthal 49T twin-ring spocket . As for the rear sprocket it's the longest lasting most durable off-road sprocket you can buy... hands down.

I wouldn't use a Twin ring regardless of who makes it...they will leave you stranded.

1489081_667337103323039_660603019_n.jpg

1662465_667337059989710_323751742_n.jpg

I wouldn't use a Twin ring regardless of who makes it...they will leave you stranded.

1662465_667337059989710_323751742_n.jpg

I see hooked teeth and a very worn sprocket. I suspect it may have been misaligned and subject to improper load. That gear should've been replaced before it failed.

Those teeth aren't hooked...the Renthal is a bad design, prone to failure. Use them if you want to, if you think they are pretty, but certainly not because "it's the longest lasting most durable off-road sprocket you can buy... hands down"

They aren't...

Ironman sprockets... they use tool grade steel. Mine still look new after 3 years. Expensive, but they last.

JT or Sunstar steel sprockets will last a very long time. They are very durable and relatively inexpensive so they win the bang for the buck contest. Ironman sprockets are excellent but as good as they are I actually broke one a few years ago :devil: . The DID VT2 is a great chain but so is the RK GXW with a clip style master link (spares in pack) :ride: . I like 13/48 gearing for all purpose work on the 450X or the WR. It has plenty of snap, improves fuel range, and will still make 90MPH. :foul:

Not exactly on topic - but sorta !  And I am excited!  (boy, i need to get  a life)   ----  the local Cycle Gear is evidently veering away from catering to dirt bikers and devoting more floor space to the cruiser crowd  -------  A ton of dirt accessories were marked way down and i was able to snag a handful of TAG sprockets  (in 49 and 51 -- my personal gearing choice)  - for 20 bucks apiece!

I almost did a victory dance leaving the store, but the clerk advised that even at 20 bucks, they werent moving that fast (All brands were represented, not just Honda

I change an alloy sprocket out at maybe 30 hours, max 40 --- but todays buy gave me enough sprockets for a couple of years -- for both my X's ! (not countershafts though- and an O-ring chain i will change out every 2nd set of sprockets)

• Like 1