Sign in to follow this  

oil sight glass mystery

I have a 1999 Husqvarna te410e.  

Finding the oil level through the sight glass has always been an issue for me.  

I just changed the oil, cleaned the bag filter on the left side and put in a new paper filter.  

I added 2 liters of oil, per the manual.  The level does not come anywhere near the marks, in fact i am not sure I see it at all. 

I started the bike, let it warm up for a few minutes, while it was running I checked the sight glass and could see oil dripping inside.  

I shut the motor off and held the bike vertical.  I waited 3 minutes and I still could not see the level. I think I may have seen it right at the bottom of the window, but it is quite difficult to see and I am not sure.  

Should I just keep adding oil until I can see the level, or go by the quantity in the manual?  

Thanks in advance for any help with this, I have never had this kind of problem with any of y other bikes.  

You might be seeing right through the oil. Tip the bike past vertical and see if the oil starts to show. Then tip the other way and see what you have. My guess, is the oil is over the top of sight glass.

I tried tipping it from side to side and could not see anything. Should I add more oil till I see the level, or just legit go. I was thinking of cutting a piece of coat hanger to make a dipstick.

Add oil until you see it in or half way up the glass. You can always let some out.

With a good oil drain they will take aat least 2 1/2 qts of oil.

Just keep adding until it's in the window.

Later George

With a good oil drain they will take aat least 2 1/2 qts of oil.

Just keep adding until it's in the window.

Later George

it's SO long since I sold my TE401e, and all the TT posts have been "lost" :- (

but as I recall 2 litres was nowhere near enough..pretty sure it was nearer 3.5 litres,

1.7 litres was for the left kick motors..!!

for reference look at the 630 motor spec..as the cases are basically the same ; - )

charlie

Wow, that is incredible.

I've been riding around with only 2liters if oil :(

That's what the manual says. Though I do remember last summer adding more and more oil and never being able to get the level right in the sight glass. I ended up over filling, all the way nearly up to the fill hole. I was at a gas station and the guys there helped me tip the bike all the way over to drain the oil out from the fill hole.

What are the dangers of over filling?

I will try and post some pics of the bike. Last summer I drove it from Corfu, across Greece to Athens then 4 different islands. I'm knocking in wood- the bike gave me no problems. Everyone talks about how unreliable the bike is.

This summer I put on the 17l tank, the bike was converted to a supermoto when I got it. So it is a bit of a Frankenstein monster now. I also had my friend here weld up a rear rack and I put a hard case there - to carry all my camping gear.

The bike sounds so amazing to me when revved up. I think the Italians engineer their bikes to make music as much as power.

hi,  

manual for the left kick bikes says 1.6 litres of oil, 

however the e-start bikes take MUCH more.., 

did you get a figure for the TE610e..??- Cafe Husky may be better here.. ; -)

charlie

I was.at my mechanics and we tipped the bike back and forth. With a flashlight we could see the level. I'm not sure exactly how much is in there, I think around 2 liters.

It is actually over the level, I think that was the problem before.

Thanks for your responses. The bike is running great. I'm leaving corfu tomorrow for the mainland and beginning my big fat Greek motorcycle adventure.

I was.at my mechanics and we tipped the bike back and forth. With a flashlight we could see the level. I'm not sure exactly how much is in there, I think around 2 liters.

Thanks for your responses. The bike is running great. I'm leaving corfu tomorrow for the mainland and beginning my big fat Greek motorcycle adventure.

have fun..!!