Sign in to follow this  

High priced off road jackets!

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/Klim-2014-Adventure-Rally-Jacket

So can anyone tell me if the addition of a hydration system and a few other bits is worth over a grand.......thats $1000 MORE than a sweet $500 model from the same manufacturer? I get that it has more stuff, but a grand?$?$?$?$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Anyone here try this $1500 jacket and want to admit it?

Edited by paddymotodaddy

The one that has ceramic coated thread is 2k.Pretty nice threads! Probably top of da line shit! Order me the whole suit,I give a review! Ha

• Like 1

I got my jacket from a camping & hiking store.

Has 2 liners for different temp zones, waterproof, vented. $354.00

• Like 2

That's where I'm going with this. I mean, you can get rigged up pretty good for under $500. I am contemplating one with armor and good build quality all around. There are many to choose from, but I 'bout soiled myself when I saw that klim.

Interested in a real review. Tell me how its 3-4 X better. I can't help but think that after the $700 mark the differences are not noticeable. I mean hundreds of $$$$$$$!!!

• Like 1

$1,500+ jacket ?   Not in my budget...

Kind of like glass for a rifle...some friends I have will spend thousands of dollars on a scope...I`m just not THAT into it...$500.00 is plenty good for me.

Hmm, thermal unders, a jacket/coat,rain coat, tent, some type of pack for it all to roll up in, and under $1000.00 should be easy for my middle class budget.

JMO

• Like 1

That's where I'm going with this. I mean, you can get rigged up pretty good for under $500. I am contemplating one with armor and good build quality all around. There are many to choose from, but I 'bout soiled myself when I saw that klim.

Interested in a real review. Tell me how its 3-4 X better. I can't help but think that after the $700 mark the differences are not noticeable. I mean hundreds of $$$$$$$!!!

Mine is a wearguard.

Looks just like this, but has removable liners.

I've been using these for work, for years. Run tow truck for a while, laying in snow, rain,mud. They hold up.

• Like 1

I'd say that jacket exists because there are people out there with enough money and curiosity (or snobbery) to buy one. It's a pure luxury good that is not intended for the vast majority of customers.

If Klim are working on new technology for their jackets they might as well turn their experimentation into a product if there is a market. There are also a marketing benefits in producing a premium line of products. It demonstrates they are a leader in developing offroad gear, not just another brand name. The top notch gear also elevates the status of their brand and has an effect on the way people regard the cheaper clothes they can afford. People believe the quality and innovation of the top of the line articles will be reflected in the cheaper one that they bought. For many companies this is correct. 

The technology in that jacket may also be available in the cheaper ranges in the years to come. Remember how much plasma TVs cost when they were new? Gore-tex? All end up mass-produced if successful and the cost comes right down. 

In a way we can be thankful that people fork out money for these things as it drives development of better products which benefits us in the end too. 

Edited by stinkwheels
  • Like 2

The ceramic coat thread is state of the art (new),there the only ones to do that.(so they say)

I read that peeps just wash there expensive gear in da machine.I think the guy said 4 time so far and still looks new.(I'd frickin hope so) I remember when I only wore Carharts.Wanted the manly look.Ha

I'd say that jacket exists because there are people out there with enough money and curiosity (or snobbery) to buy one. It's a pure luxury good that is not intended for the vast majority of customers.

If Klim are working on new technology for their jackets they might as well turn their experimentation into a product if there is a market. There are also a marketing benefits in producing a premium line of products. It demonstrates they are a leader in developing offroad gear, not just another brand name. The top notch gear also elevates the status of their brand and has an effect on the way people regard the cheaper clothes they can afford. People believe the quality and innovation of the top of the line articles will be reflected in the cheaper one that they bought. For many companies this is correct.

The technology in that jacket may also be available in the cheaper ranges in the years to come. Remember how much plasma TVs cost when they were new? Gore-tex? All end up mass-produced if successful and the cost comes right down.

In a way we can be thankful that people fork out money for these things as it drives development of better products which benefits us in the end too.

Yeah, I get how product development is supposed to work but it also can work against a company by demonstrating that it is willing to sell inferior products based on the tag sewn onto it. Remember the Cadillac Catera? How about Guess jeans that were $130 in the 90's. Neither one were a stage of developing better products. If I see a jacket that sells for $1500 made by a company that offers a $600 coat, I think its their strip down sweat-shop model that compares more equally with a jacket costing $300 from another manufacturer whose best jacket is $600. Again, with the above mentioned, who could say the differences between a $600 and a $1500 coat are worth the money? Designer off-road guys?

Yeah, I get how product development is supposed to work but it also can work against a company by demonstrating that it is willing to sell inferior products based on the tag sewn onto it. Remember the Cadillac Catera? How about Guess jeans that were $130 in the 90's. Neither one were a stage of developing better products. If I see a jacket that sells for $1500 made by a company that offers a $600 coat, I think its their strip down sweat-shop model that compares more equally with a jacket costing $300 from another manufacturer whose best jacket is $600. Again, with the above mentioned, who could say the differences between a $600 and a $1500 coat are worth the money? Designer off-road guys?

So you reckon they are just charging for the brand?

I dunno, but I know that the only $1500 jacket I'd buy is leather and made to measure, not an offroad textile one. 

Edited by stinkwheels
  • Like 1