Sign in to follow this  

2001 cr 125 any good?

My brother is now looking at a new bike since his cr 85's tranny went out and the fair is coming up in a week and he is racing in it. He knows hes gonna take a loss on his cr 85 so his looking for older 125's and he found a 2001 cr 125 that looks like it has stock graphics and stock exhaust. He also claims it has new brakes , clutch, and tires. He claims he drove it over to his garage from his truck and that was it since it was done. So basically those parts haven't  even been broken in. Do you guys think overall the year is any good and is it good or bad that he didn't drive it at all since he got the improvements done? Any help would be much appreciated. 

The 2001 cr's where one of the best years. The power and reliability was great. The frames look stupid imo but that dosent really matter.

The 2001 cr's where one of the best years. The power and reliability was great. The frames look stupid imo but that dosent really matter.

So the 2001 was a really good bike? That's a good thing. Although my brother is in C class or lower would the 2001 cr 125 still even come close to competing with the new 250f's ( a lot of '08s at our fair)? also is the suspension any good? And lastly, even though I agree with you on the frame, is it still a good one?

The 2001 isn't a bad bike. I've got one I built up using Showa forks and shock (resprung for my weight) and a 2003 engine (pre 99 clutch and lighter flywheel). I got a good deal on the engine. I've added the 2005 intake boot (to get the engine to breath) and am running a CR250 38 MM Mikuni TMX on it; I know a PWK would work best but I'm not sure I can get it to fit (it's pretty tight down there as it is). The 2000 to 2003 engine isn't bad; the cylinder was revised each year until 2004 (electric power valve) and the 3rd Gen frame came out in 2002. Many parts are interchangeable between the 2000-2001 CR125's and CR250's so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding replacement parts. The only real downfall with parts is footpegs are limited as the frame was only made 2000 and 2001. However, the rear brakes aren't prone to overheating like the 2002 and up, if you're a brake dragger, and it holds up to abuse quite well. The factory exhaust for this year was quite good and I run one on mine. For this year the only real reason to change to an aftermarket one will be if the stock pipe gets crushed otherwise it works very well. If the gearing is still stock, I recommend changing it to a 12-51. This will get the engine on the pipe quicker and believe me I was running a 13-53 for a while, like my 1990 with a six speed, but when I swapped to the 12-51 it made a difference. Here is a link to how one guy did a budget mod on his CR125: http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/05/budget-racer-2001-honda-cr125/

Now, there is much debate on which CR125 is the best. You ask some folks and they'll claim the 1997 had an awesome engine while many, including Jeremy McGrath, rave about the 1993 (or is it the 1994 frame) which he ran into 1997; be that as it may. As far as handeling is concerned the 2001 CR125 is good and stable almost milquetoastg. It is predictable and not as schizophrenic as an RM. If memory serves the 2001 CR, depending on who did the shootout, was a mid pack bike behind the Yamaha and the Suzuki (the only problem was the engine). If you're brother is getting a real good deal on the CR then go for it. However, if he wants to be competitive on an older bike the YZ is the way to go. I know, this is a Honda thread, but in reality to get the Honda to perform as good or better than a YZ will require money and then, maybe then, the little CR will be competitive to a stock YZ (stock). Don't get me wrong, I really like my Honda's (I've also got a 2001 CR250), but in reality the little Honda comes up short if you want to be competitive against the newer 250f's.