Sign in to follow this  

98 XR400 dual sport. putting in Mikuni 36m carb, new throttle cables too SHORT

Hi all,

I bought a Mikuni TM36 from Niche Cycle.  They sent the carb as the XR400 kit.  

It took some time and creativity to get it in there, but it is in.

I must be crazy, it all fits good but the push pull throttle cables are just too SHORT.

I just cannot imagine this cable is supposed to go the distance and still allow the bike to turn to the right.

I basically have to crank the wheel to the left and I might be able to hook them up.

I played with them straight to the carb with no routing.

The cables are 34 inches in the covered cable portion.   About 36 with the threaded ends and prolly 38 inches end to end (I did not take apart to measure end to end).

Has anyone done this Mikuni carb upgrade and know what length cables you used?

I will ask Niche Cycle for ideas or possible longer cables tomorrow.

Thanks,

Scott

How do they compare in length with your stock cables?

In have mine routed in front of the top triple clamp and then between the steering tube and left fork tube before running back to the carb. if you routed yours the same and they aren't reaching, then yes, they're too short. You were sent the wrong cables.

Edited by Trailryder42

I have 4 sets of those,all cables fit.But one with extra tall and wide bars.Had to play with moving cables,bars.To get it to work.What bars you using?

• Like 1

The cables with the Mikuni are 38" and the stock are 40"  (best I can measure if I get the tips even).   They are 2 inches shorter than stock. 

http://postimg.org/image/l0lgvby7z/

or http://s11.postimg.org/dkm79jair/Screen_Shot_2014_08_03_at_6_43_40_PM.png

//

so, I m not very mechanical but got this bike as a way to learn to get more so... something I could perhaps sometimes fix myself.

but, fml, I have busted the Mikuni throttle assembly as I was checking it out.  The push cable nut wasn't tight and flush on the handlegrip clamshell (it wasn't holding the right angle tight to itself), so I tightened it a little more and snapped the threads off in the clamshellhousing.  This is all on the throttle grip end.  Now the remaining hidden threads are holding that cable hostage.

My handlebars are 32" tip to tip.  I am not sure if they are stock as it was purchased used many years ago.  (so I forget or dont know)

So my plan is to see if Niche has 40" cables and assembly kit.  Or maybe contact motion pro (local to me in the bay area) to see if I can find/make one as needed.

/

Or does anyone have any suggestions where I could get 40" push pull cables and a nice throttle handlebar assembly?

Thanks

Scott

Edited by HoopXR400

push nut threads broke off in this

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Push-Pull-Throttle/dp/B000GZN6R8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407118635&sr=8-3&keywords=mikuni+motorcycle+throttle

(with the mukini assembly, this is an example I found on Amazon.  Perhaps I will get as a replacement,  it LOOKS exactly the same physically. )\

But I also need a couple cables...

Edited by HoopXR400

I believe that 32 bars are upgrades and that 29 inch bars are likely stock.  (I saw a lot of those online)

That would explain the challenge I had with this KIT to me.  Why the cables would not work at that length.

THAT AND I BROKE THE OTHERS>>>

So I order some custom ones from Motion Pro in San Carlos, CA.    Push pull mikuni carb ends,  40" of housing length and a new throttle assembly (and end to match that end).

Be here soon....

Edited by HoopXR400