Sign in to follow this  

This bike is amazing !

Hi guys just sold my 650 and bought a 2006 crf250x Holy cow ! im soo happy i did this , ive only ridden it like 20 miles on the street. but its exactly what i wanted :D . Its got power but not too much its just right ! pull that front end up like nothing ... super light and with electric start ! bike starts up cold with no choke first blip of the switch... 

cant wait to take it out on the trail.  ive heard about the valves on these bikes, and that didnt scare me off.

What gearing do u guys recommend for best all around riding, maybe get a little more top speed without sacrificing low end, i ride down in baja 

What gearing do u guys recommend for best all around riding, maybe get a little more top speed without sacrificing low end, i ride down in baja

Buy a 450x, problem solved

• Like 2

Buy a 450x, problem solved

:thumbsup:

dont need or want one, i would of bought one if thats what i was lookin for.

im sure there is a better sprocket combo than stock to get a little bit more top speed...

buy ss valves

yeah, my mechanic told me when the valves need changin to get the kibblewhite valves and buy piston, rings, and timing chain might as well since the motor is open

:thumbsup:

dont need or want one, i would of bought one if thats what i was lookin for.

im sure there is a better sprocket combo than stock to get a little bit more top speed...

Well if you want more top end without losing low end the It's going to be your only option. The 250x is a nice bike, but it will not do what you are asking it to do. Some people will argue that point, however the fastest 250, with the best gearing and the most torque, still doesn't have the low end or can match the top end of even the slowest 450. So with the 250, pick what you want. Low end or top end, not both. Edited by MrRong
  • Like 1

Well if you want more top end without losing low end the It's going to be your only option. The 250x is a nice bike, but it will not do what you are asking it to do. Some people will argue that point, however the fastest 250, with the best gearing and the most torque, still doesn't have the low end or can match the top end of even the slowest 450. So with the 250, pick what you want. Low end or top end, not both.

its obvious if you gain top you loose some bottom, i just wanted to know if anybody tried any sprocket combo that gave the bike a LITTLE bit more top end without killing the bottom completly, im sure theres a sprocket combo that is better than stock wich is 14/53 i believe...

i never said i wanted to go 100 mph and chase 450´s, i used to do that on my xr650r thanks...

Do you have any sprocket advice ? :ride:

Not the same bike as yours, but I loved the 13/48 gearing on my Honda XR250. Not sure what yours has.

• Like 1

I have  run 14/51 on mine only because a 51 was available.  The gear box has wide enough spread that you will have plenty of top spead with stock 14/53 gearing.  But if you do much road riding the buzzing motor is tiring, for that I run 14/48, doesn't seem like much but really helps.  Calculated top speed (doesn't include tire growth) with 14/53 @12k is 77mph.  14/48 is 85mph. Calculated top speed with my 14/51 gearing with a 4.00R18 radial Trials tire is 84mph. So my 14/51 with the Trials tire is almost like 14/48 with a knobby. If you need more top end disconnect the pink wire for 3 more mph. :goofy:

Bottom end power may not be like an XR but the internal gearing is lower so the results while riding are not a lot different.

With all of that I'm more concerned with trail performance.  Using a 12 tooth makes 2nd gear more usable on trails but makes 1st gear very sensitive to throttle changes. So I prefer my slightly higher overall gearing.  Best gearing for your use will depend on where you ride; as always YMMV.

• Like 1

Hi guys just sold my 650 and bought a 2006 crf250x Holy cow ! im soo happy i did this , ive only ridden it like 20 miles on the street. but its exactly what i wanted :D . Its got power but not too much its just right ! pull that front end up like nothing ... super light and with electric start ! bike starts up cold with no choke first blip of the switch... 

cant wait to take it out on the trail.  ive heard about the valves on these bikes, and that didnt scare me off.

Congrats on the new/used bike, sounds like you found what you were looking for in the 250x!

As far as the gearing and top speed vs low end it usually works best to try a couple different sprocket combinations, maybe start with a rear sprocket that is two teeth smaller and go from there. Not sure where you want to end up with the top or need to end up with low end pull but experimenting is usually the way to go.

The 250x is best known for its low end and that doesnt change that much even when changing the gearing alittle.

I dont know if the CCC mods have been done to the bike yet or not but if not you'll want to check into doing that soon to get the extra snap and power that will make it better yet.

Heres a good website with alot of info about the 250x including the CCC mods

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xmymods.htm

Edited by TDW
  • Like 1

I have  run 14/51 on mine only because a 51 was available.  The gear box has wide enough spread that you will have plenty of top spead with stock 14/53 gearing.  But if you do much road riding the buzzing motor is tiring, for that I run 14/48, doesn't seem like much but really helps.  Calculated top speed (doesn't include tire growth) with 14/53 @12k is 77mph.  14/48 is 85mph. Calculated top speed with my 14/51 gearing with a 4.00R18 radial Trials tire is 84mph. So my 14/51 with the Trials tire is almost like 14/48 with a knobby. If you need more top end disconnect the pink wire for 3 more mph. :goofy:

Bottom end power may not be like an XR but the internal gearing is lower so the results while riding are not a lot different.

With all of that I'm more concerned with trail performance.  Using a 12 tooth makes 2nd gear more usable on trails but makes 1st gear very sensitive to throttle changes. So I prefer my slightly higher overall gearing.  Best gearing for your use will depend on where you ride; as always YMMV.

Congrats on the new/used bike, sounds like you found what you were looking for in the 250x!

As far as the gearing and top speed vs low end it usually works best to try a couple different sprocket combinations, maybe start with a rear sprocket that is two teeth smaller and go from there. Not sure where you want to end up with the top or need to end up with low end pull but experimenting is usually the way to go.

The 250x is best known for its low end and that doesnt change that much even when changing the gearing alittle.

I dont know if the CCC mods have been done to the bike yet or not but if not you'll want to check into doing that soon to get the extra snap and power that will make it better yet.

Heres a good website with alot of info about the 250x including the CCC mods

http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xmymods.htm

thank you both for your time and kindness i really appreciate the information

My buddy runs 14/48 I run 14/50 on our 250X's  pulls it just fine!

• Like 1

I have a 2005 250x that I bought new in '05, streetlegalized it right away, and ride it an average of around 2000 miles a year. I've found the best gearing for me is 15/46. The motor is box-stock, and I've never had an engine cover off it yet (and still haven't had to adjust the valves). The thing still runs like new....Amazing to me...

I also have a 2006 CRF250R (with a stock motor and gearing), and with the stock gearing on the x bike, second gear on the x is like first gear on the R bike, so gearing up the x bike so high is not a problem for me.

I recently put a 14 tooth front sprocket on the x bike when I rode it double with my wife when we rode it to the Washougal National motocross race a little over a week ago, and the 14/46 seemed perfect for that ride (we weigh a combined weight of 330 pounds).

512flashcard125.jpg

My street-legal CRF250x has been a perfect model of reliability and dualsport fun for me for the past 9 years...

Randy

Two new '05 CRF250x's (mine and brother Bob's), August 2005

Picture125.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 2005 250x that I bought new in '05, streetlegalized it right away, and ride it an average of around 2000 miles a year. I've found the best gearing for me is 15/46. The motor is box-stock, and I've never had an engine cover off it yet (and still haven't had to adjust the valves). The thing still runs like new....Amazing to me...

I also have a 2006 CRF250R (with a stock motor and gearing), and with the stock gearing on the x bike, second gear on the x is like first gear on the R bike, so gearing up the x bike so high is not a problem for me.

I recently put a 14 tooth front sprocket on the x bike when I rode it double with my wife when we rode it to the Washougal National motocross race a little over a week ago, and the 14/46 seemed perfect for that ride (we weigh a combined weight of 330 pounds).

512flashcard125.jpg

My street-legal CRF250x has been a perfect model of reliability and dualsport fun for me for the past 9 years...

Randy

Two new '05 CRF250x's (mine and brother Bob's), August 2005

Picture125.jpg

Nice!, The 250x i bought was only used on the street by the PO, And the engine has never been opened up either :) shes goin into the shop tomorrow for fresh oils and carburator checked out if its running the correct jets and clip and what not... also the airbox mod.

Nice!, The 250x i bought was only used on the street by the PO, And the engine has never been opened up either :) shes goin into the shop tomorrow for fresh oils and carburator checked out if its running the correct jets and clip and what not... also the airbox mod.

You can do the jetting yourself. Buy the JD Jetting kit and cut the airbox. Gave my bike some spunk and zero bog. I'm no where near a mechanic and I did this myself in one night. Lots of grunting, but I did it.

• Like 1

You can do the jetting yourself. Buy the JD Jetting kit and cut the airbox. Gave my bike some spunk and zero bog. I'm no where near a mechanic and I did this myself in one night. Lots of grunting, but I did it.

yeah thats for sure !, well the reason my mechanic did it, is because hes a real good friend of mine and the shop is about 5 minutes from my house and i get a real good prices...  :ride:

Actually just got the bike back from the shop a while ago. and it runs real frickin nice with the airbox mod and he messed around with the carb  :thumbsup: that bike opens up loud !!