Sign in to follow this  

Making a 2014 450R reliable in Baja.

Last week my '06 CRF450R finally gave up.  We have not torn the bike down yet, but there is a ominous ticking / knocking sound coming from the motor.  We figure it is the crank, but there is no way of knowing for sure until we get it ALL apart.  Never the less, the bike needs a total rebuild.  In eight years the only thing we have done besides regular maintenance is two top end rebuilds (one valves only, one valves and piston), so we figure we got plenty of hours out of the bike(roughly 650 hours).  So now it is either a new bike, or a $5,000 to $6,000 rebuild to make our old bike new again.

Before I ask the $10,000 question, I have to say we absolutely love the 2006 450R platform.  We are not pro riders, but we do use bikes to their full potential on the motocross track, and the '06 platform is extremely easy to make into a Baja reliable bike when we go prerun the Baja 500.  If there is any way we could FULLY rebuild our 2006, without costing us what a new bike costs, and get it to last us another eight years, we would.

That being said, does any one know what it takes to make a 2014/2015 CRF 450R Baja reliable?  I have done as much research as possible, but there isn't much information on turning a 450R into an off-road reliable machine, and what information I do find is extremely vague.

So here are my questions...

How reliable is the motor in extreme heat conditions? (heard one story of an '09 450R's motor burning through the cylinder after running high speed off-road)

How reliable is the air suspension in an off-road setting? (JCR runs spring forks on their GNCC bike)

How can the air suspension be set up for off-road terrain? (supposedly David Knight's 450 enduro has stock suspension)

How reliable is the EFI?

How much of a gas hog are Honda EFI bikes? (Yamaha makes a gas hog)

Why isn't any one els running a 450R in the desert?

Am I asking for to much out of one bike?  The 2006 450R seems to have served us fine in any scenario we can throw at it.  As long as we use good judgement and semi prep and swap out moto parts for the appropriate off-road parts, the bike never lets us down.

why would it cost you 5-6 or even 3 grand to rebuild that bike? And why wouldn't the 450r be a off road reliable machine? Honda is as reliable as it gets. Oversized radiators and switch the gearing up for the basics and it'll be fine

Edited by Diggla117

Last week my '06 CRF450R finally gave up. We have not torn the bike down yet, but there is a ominous ticking / knocking sound coming from the motor. We figure it is the crank, but there is no way of knowing for sure until we get it ALL apart. Never the less, the bike needs a total rebuild. In eight years the only thing we have done besides regular maintenance is two top end rebuilds (one valves only, one valves and piston), so we figure we got plenty of hours out of the bike(roughly 650 hours). So now it is either a new bike, or a $5,000 to $6,000 rebuild to make our old bike new again.

Before I ask the $10,000 question, I have to say we absolutely love the 2006 450R platform. We are not pro riders, but we do use bikes to their full potential on the motocross track, and the '06 platform is extremely easy to make into a Baja reliable bike when we go prerun the Baja 500. If there is any way we could FULLY rebuild our 2006, without costing us what a new bike costs, and get it to last us another eight years, we would.

That being said, does any one know what it takes to make a 2014/2015 CRF 450R Baja reliable? I have done as much research as possible, but there isn't much information on turning a 450R into an off-road reliable machine, and what information I do find is extremely vague.

So here are my questions...

How reliable is the motor in extreme heat conditions? (heard one story of an '09 450R's motor burning through the cylinder after running high speed off-road)

How reliable is the air suspension in an off-road setting? (JCR runs spring forks on their GNCC bike)

How can the air suspension be set up for off-road terrain? (supposedly David Knight's 450 enduro has stock suspension)

How reliable is the EFI?

How much of a gas hog are Honda EFI bikes? (Yamaha makes a gas hog)

Why isn't any one els running a 450R in the desert?

Am I asking for to much out of one bike? The 2006 450R seems to have served us fine in any scenario we can throw at it. As long as we use good judgement and semi prep and swap out moto parts for the appropriate off-road parts, the bike never lets us down.

Call Scott Dunlavey, 510-525-5525, he's the king of Baja CRFs...

why would it cost you 5-6 or even 3 grand to rebuild that bike? And why wouldn't the 450r be a off road reliable machine? Honda is as reliable as it gets. Oversized radiators and switch the gearing up for the basics and it'll be fine

$2,500 - $3,000 to rebuild the engine, indiscriminately replacing just about everything that is worn, or is soon to be worn.  Another $1,500 to $2,000 doing general improvements on the bike.  (suspension, chain, sprockets, tires, plastics, bearings, ect.)

I figure more like 4 g's for everything easy but if ya got it.. Nothing better than a fresh bike!

Edited by Diggla117

Well I look at it this way. A bike youuu build to your liking and riding style especially one you know already is going to serve you better that a new bike and throwing more money into it to tune it to you style and likings. I have a 05 crf450r street yard and to do a full conversion it's 2 grand minimum and plus the bike roughly 3. So if I bought a brand new bike which I couldn't afford I'd have to dump even more money into it then the time to tune it in and etc. So what I'm saying it might be a lot cheaper to just rebuild the old bike cause all the hard parts and off road parts are already there where a new bike especially one that's way different your starting from scratch. Old bike plus rebuild equals 4 grand. New bike plus special parts and tunning equals the cost of bike plus thevparta and tunning which is prolly another 2 k in suspension and skid plates etc

Well I look at it this way. A bike youuu build to your liking and riding style especially one you know already is going to serve you better that a new bike and throwing more money into it to tune it to you style and likings. I have a 05 crf450r street tard and to do a full conversion it's 2 grand minimum and plus the bike, roughly 3k used. So if I bought a brand new bike which I couldn't afford I'd have to dump even more money into it then the time to tune it in and etc. So what I'm saying it might be a lot cheaper to just rebuild the old bike cause all the hard parts and off road parts are already there where a new bike especially one that's way different your starting from scratch. Old bike plus rebuild equals 4 grand. New bike plus special parts and tunning equals the cost of bike plus the parts and tunning which is prolly another 2 k in suspension and skid plates etc

If you have a lot of money to spend do it...... If on a budget then rebuild the 06. Or maybe buy a new crf450x....... I mean you did say Baja .... Not motocross. The 450x would prolly be a better start point for reliability and Baja style riding