Sign in to follow this  

Crf vs Rm handling

This is about handling and ergonomics only, motor reliabity or power delivery do not matter.

I'm about to start hunting parts down for a Cr500 conversion but I havent decided on a chassis yet, Ive narrowed it down between the 01-06 Rm250 chassis or my 04 crf250x. What Id really like to do is ride an RM, but I dont know anyone that owns one so I'm here asking the opinions of people who have ridden 01+ RMs and a 3rd gen Honda. This bike will spend 90% of its time in the trails and will have a Honda dampner (HPSD). I've read alot of people raving about the RMs turning and I want to know is it really that much better or is it a suzuki cult thing? Also Ive heard that RMs fit smaller riders better? Im 5'8" so Im not short but by no means tall. Also to anyone who has ridden a cr500af, how are the vibrations in the aluminum frame, Im thinking they cant get any worse than my 380. My Honda handles very well compared to both my Ktm 200 and Ktm 380 (neither are very stable in the whoops or high speed, I like it but if there is a better woods handling bike I would be interested in knowing.

Also the bike WILL be running conventional forks, either a 50mm wp extreme (from the 380) or a 49mm showa cartridge, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance, Jake

Lots of people to the AF conversion so i'd assume its fine.

BUT, I do remember somebody selling a 2002 rm250 with an 88 cr500 motor in it. so its been done before

ive personally had a 99rm250 and it felt really heavy. (compared to my 01 cr250 that I had at the time)

also had a 2004 rm125.. now that handled amazing.

Edited by 98kawi125

I have also found another conversion build with an rm/cr500, so I'm not worried about being able to do it, I'm just trying to decide if it's worth hunting down an rm.

Do you feel like the rm125 handled good because of being so light or the geometry of the bike

Anyone?

The RM is awesome. I picked up mine a year ago knowing pretty much nothing about them. I missed my old 2stroke (01KX250) and this one was clean, local, setup for woods and cheap so I bought it. Even though I have it set up nearly identical to my KX it rides nothing like that bike. The RM turns on a dime! I love it.

I've owned a lot of porker 4 strokes so the KX is the only other bike I can compare it to. I'd like to move up to a KTM 300 xc but I'd be looking at a 2010+ bike to get something that'd be even close to the RM in terms of handling (quick steering and ability to carve). I dunno if the RM is for smaller riders or not every seat height seems tall to me and I'm 6'1"...