Sign in to follow this  

rider position in long sweeping rough corners

later on in the day when the track is rough I have a hard time with the long sweeping corners. its too rough to sit so im standing but how do I weight the bike and or where do I position my body over the bike?

On long sweeping corners I try to stand and weight the inside peg. It takes confidence that your not gonna wash out because you don't have your leg out there to catch you.

I squat, keep a finger on the clutch, head down in attack mode, and position myself a little rearward, and just hit it as fast as I can. In virtually all corners I weight the pegs evenly. It jus takes confidence in your bike and yourself. My front tire is absolute crap and I still have her pinned, because I'm confident. But I do stand A LOT more than most people around the track

On long sweeping corners I try to stand and weight the inside peg. It takes confidence that your not gonna wash out because you don't have your leg out there to catch you.

Bingo.  You have to practice a lot.  You use the inside peg and outside knee to adjust bike lean.  I think weighting the pegs evenly is an oversimplification.  You weight the pegs the way they need to be weighted.  If your are going fast...you are going to be continuously adjusting bike lean.  The way you do this is by changing peg weighting and using your knees.  If you start drifting off line for instance...and see a nice berm or rut you can lay into...you will lean more and lay into that.  To do this...you need to weight the inside peg more, and outside less...and also push with your outside knee.  You need to be careful to not let your body get left behind when you lean standing (bike leaning in more...by your body not in line with the lean).  It sounds crazy, but I actually initiate a subtle countersteer which causes the bike to fall into the lean FAST.

If you are on the gas hard...you will be forward...but if you lift...you need to shift your hips back pretty quick. For some reason, when you are standing, putting too much weight on the front can bite you real quick.  Also...losing he front when you are standing can be scary fall.  It is a long ways down, and weird things happen.

• Like 1

I agree with Gary that's dead on. I ride on the back of the bike mostly wide open on that style of corner if it's hard packed good luck keeping that rear wheel under you :p throttle control is so key.