Sign in to follow this  

xl175 no spark

i have a xl175 not sure of the year, but i am not getting anyspark, this is not the endro model, so there is no batter, gauges or light, I tested the wires coming from the stator, I was getting less than 1 volt off 2 of the four leads, does anyone know what king of voltage you should be getting, next it has been a while since i worked on points and condensor system, just wondering how to test the coil, i tested the points for continuity and they are working, 

That's funny because the XLs were all on/off road bikes as far as I know, and to my knowledge, they all came with street-legal equipment, including lights and batteries.

Have you had this bike running before? In its present configuration? Neither of my Xl's will start without a charged battery. I don't think you can kick it over fast enough to get the six volts.

Edited by DimBulb

The points ae opening and closing. I just got the bike 2 days ago, but I was told it used to run but it has been sitting for a while. It doesn't have any gauges wiring or even the bracketed for the battery etc. so I know this is the way it came. I just need to figure out how to resolve what the issue is stator, points, condenser, coil ? I downloaded a service manual but it doesn't really help, not sure how to check the coil or condenser

I've seen xls with full lighting that didn't have a battery. Have you sanded the contacts and checked the points gap? Those old bikes were pretty reliable. Make sure your spark check is reliable. The carb will also need work.

Try running it off a good 6 volt battery, once I used a 7.4 volt cordless drill battery to start one of my bikes. That way you can eliminate the whole charging system as a potential source of the problem. The only way I know to check a coil is by replacing it with a known good one.

• Like 1

The ignition on an XL175 is a magneto/points circuit.  (Black/White wire) from the generator.  This wire should measure .9 ohms (less than  1 ohm) to ground.  There is NO connection to the battery for this ignition.  Check for continuity to ground on the Black/White wire with the points open to determine if the mag coil is okay.  Make sure the kill switch is in the RUN position....

http://home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/WireDiagrams/GPZmiscWrgDiags.html   Half-way down....

patuca

I think the batt requirement came when they went CDI.

If it's truely an xl and was born with lights and battery, there should be a 2nd connector, or by now maybe a group of snipped off wires, coming from the magneto. If not, I'm guessing it's not an xl or its had the engine swapped in from something else.

Edited by knudsen

It is an xl, I have looked into it and they came without lights and gauges, no sniped wires, 4 wires come of the magneto/stator

I guess they layer split the two models to xl and xr. Opposite of suzuki who made the pre 90's sp and dr into just dr, with lights for street or without for enduro.

okay so i lied i just found some cut off wires coming from the stator, yellow, green/red stripe, white, black/white stripe, i am not sure but i read somewhere to check the stator you just use the continuity setting on the ohm meter but i cant find the article anybody know how

so i have a black/white stripe splits and goes up to the kill switch, the other side.goes to a connector that the points, the condenser, and the coil be, and this wire all connect to, it is metal so all the parts are getting juice at the same time. super confused, i read another thread http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/841701-73-xl175-need-wiring-help-and-some-final-answers-please/ where they talk about 2 wires off the coil, but mine just has the one, a second wire (green) attaches to where the coil bolts up to the frame and leads back to the kill switch, it is quite thick, i am wondering if that is the possible a power wire

Post a well-lit pic of this bike.

I'd like to see it.

Did you fig out the year yet? I might be able to get at a clymers for it and get you the test info.

Beware its a halfassed test. If it measures bad, it probably is bad, but if it measures good, it doesnt mean much.

so i have a black/white stripe splits and goes up to the kill switch, the other side.goes to a connector that the points, the condenser, and the coil be, and this wire all connect to, it is metal so all the parts are getting juice at the same time. super confused, i read another thread http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/841701-73-xl175-need-wiring-help-and-some-final-answers-please/ where they talk about 2 wires off the coil, but mine just has the one, a second wire (green) attaches to where the coil bolts up to the frame and leads back to the kill switch, it is quite thick, i am wondering if that is the possible a power wire

I told you how to check the mag coil in my last post......The black/white wire is your ignition line....it splits to the kill switch so you can ground the wire and stop the engine.   Make sure the kill switch is on RUN or disconnect the kill switch wire and measure the resistance of the wire to ground....if the coil is bad it will show an open circuit (high resistance) if it's okay it will be less than 1 ohm....on a regular meter this will look like a dead short (very low resistance).

There is only ONE wire (white/black) that makes the ignition work.  This wire goes to the points and spark-coil.   It also has connections to the kill-switch and the key switch. Both of these switches are  just to  ground the ignition wire (black/white) wire to stop the engine.   Make sure the key switch is ON and undgrounded and the kill switch is on RUN and ungrounded, or disconnect the wire from the key switch and run/stop switch....

The Green wire is the main GROUND wire it is not a "power wire".....look at the diagram in my first post.

patuca

it tests .001, if i hook a 6 volt source to the black/white stripe wire would that supply power to the appropriate parts to see if it will spark or turn over