Sign in to follow this  

New XR80 Owner - work in progress

Hey everyone!  I'm back on the site here after years of hiatus, but with a new screen name so I guess I'll say I'm a newbie again.  Anyway, I just picked up a 1985 XR80 for my son for $200.  It has no spark and needs a few other small things.  I'm at a major disadvantage with this bike as I've NEVER worked on a bike with points.  Even my 1980 Suzuk GS850 is pointless ignition.  So that's my first item to attack.

Anyway, I wondered if there were any good articles, particular threads, or anything else I should read to get myself familiar with this bike.  My last rebuild was a 2000 Suzuki DRZ400, so this one's a bit smaller and older :ride:

Also, what's the best way to get a service manual on this bike?  Or am I stuck with simply buying a clymer manual.

Thanks in advance for any help and here's a picture of the bike right after I wheeled it off the trailer.

0jNJMgDl.jpg

Get the manual from the Honda shop.  The ones the technicians use.  EBay maybe $35.  Looks like a great buy at $200.  Points are simple and once set correctly, you will go years without messing with them.  Good luck and keep us posted on the progress. 

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407412094.241303.jpg

Hi there I too bought my daughter a xr 80 A few months back and started a full restore I got a genuine honda service manual from eBay with that you can't go wrong I'm still waiting on my crank so I can put the motor back together getting close now

Wow rexv5 yours looks to be in super good shape.  Once I get this one running I'll have my son ride it til winter then it's going in the basement for a tear down.  Not sure how crazy I'll get with it seems I can't paint in the basement anyway.  I found a downloadable version of the Honda Service for $5 so I've got that under control.  My son is anxious to start riding but I need to get a few things for sure before he can ride it, even if I get the ignition sorted out.

The clutch pulls SUPER hard, like even too hard for me.  But somebody stuck a mountain bike bike lever on it for a clutch lever so I think I need to find the proper lever and see if that fixes it.

Started taking the bike apart this morning before work.  Took off the side covers, seat, and gas tank.  Then took off the left side engine cover to reveal the flywheel.  I had ordered the motion pro flywheel puller for this bike but I don't have a flywheel holder.....DOH!  Oh well, gonna pick up some flat steel, bolts, and nuts from work today and build one.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll have a good look at the points but peeking in the slots it does look like it might be a tad dusty in there.

Here's my son pulling the gas tank off.

3cUclETl.jpg

Thanks JF I too do not have much mechanical experience just learning as i go this site is a wealth of information if you get stuck with something this is the place to get the answers looks like your bike will be a good starting point bet the young bloke can't wait to get her on the tracks