Sign in to follow this  

1991 KX125 problems

So I bought a 91 kx as a little side project for when I'm bored. I got it for $400 and it ran but didn't have a kicker (only way to start it was drift starting) the throttle cable was snapped and then taped together so it suck open pretty bad (with having to start it down a hill, the throttle being stuck open, and the lack of a good back break it was a little sketchy hahaha but I did it anyway) so I went on RockyMountain and bought new break lever, clutch lever, throttle, throttle cable, clutch cable, and kicker assembly. I got it all in a few days ago and put it all on and started it up, first kik. Now I have another issue. The throttle doesn't seem right, it doesn't idle at all (I know two strokes don't really idle but this thing you have to rev it what seems way too much, then it just keeps stalling. When I try riding it, it boggs down so much you can not ride it and it dies. Now it's to the point where it barely starts and stays running. I was just in the garage a few minutes ago and I can't get it to start.. any ideas?

So, engine wise, you have done pretty much NOTHING to your $400 bike and want us to diagnose it?? :)

air filter / carb / reeds / air leak / worn /damaged top end, etc,. etc.

I cleaned the air filter, it surprisingly has a nice uni filter in it. The carb I took off and looks fine and clean. I took the reeds out and they aren't bent open or anything (then again I'm 14 and don't know much) I haven't opened the head yet. I will tomorrow, it ran pretty strong when it ran so idk.

how should the reeds look?

Hold me up to a light. If any light comes through where the reeds are suppose to be sealing then they're not functioning as they should

Hold me up to a light. If any light comes through where the reeds are suppose to be sealing then they're not functioning as they should

alright I'll do that as soon as I can thanks
  • Like 1