Sign in to follow this  

ttr125 help pls wont start without fluid

hey guys I bought a used 2004 ttr 125le 2 months ago. it ran completely fine until 3 weeks  ago it started to leak gas out of the overflow tube but still would run fine. Left it in my garage for 2 weeks or so and went to take it out yesterday to ride and it wouldn't start up and gas is no longer leaking out of the overflow. I searched a bunch of forums for hours and everywhere pointed me to the carb needing a cleaning so I took the carb out and completely cleaned it with carb cleaner cleaned all the jets and everything . it was a little dirty and the smaller jet deffinitly had some dirt in it which I cleaned. so after this I try to start it again  and still nothing . I checked the spark plug and it has spark so that is not it. Next I sprayed starter fluid into the air box and it started up in a kick or two but would bog down and die. it has compression when I kickstart it so I don't think that is the problem. (not sure if this is relevant but I sprayed starter fluid and than started it up and tryed to kick it into 1st and when I did that it immedietly died once I put it in 1st not sure if this is because it bogs down and dies regardless or if somethings wrong with my clutch or something because when I put it in 1st it bogged down and died Basicly immedietly) Please guys im scared my bike is completely shot and I wasted my $ on it. if u guys need any more info about it please feel free to ask any help is appreciated !!! also when I started it up with starter fluid and gave it gas,gas was deffinetly getting to the engine.  my friend said it could be a valve but im not sure? Also have a brand new air filter. please guys any help is appreciated.

Edited by vfuziionv2

If its getting fuel and spark I'd just check the valves

Its 10 bucks in parts and maybe a couple hours of your time.

Is there old gas in there?

Are you spraying the fluid straight into the engine or through the carb?

gas is maybe a little ovvra month old . I sprayed the fluid into the air box and than I tried through the carb. I guess ill check the valves out,  thanks a lot for ur input man ill check the valves out in the morning without a doubt!! anything else that it could be that I can check? 

You can try to change the gas first but a month isn't to bad. If you know how to and its not a hassle valves are always a gold thing. That's all I could really think of.

You said it was leaking out the overflow before? That usually happens when the float is stuck or out of spec. I know you said you cleaned your carb, but try to do that if you haven't.

yeah while I was cleaning the carb I checked the float  and its fine now so that problems all done with. me and my buddy are going to check the valves out first thing in the AM and ill report back. thanks

yeah while I was cleaning the carb I checked the float and its fine now so that problems all done with. me and my buddy are going to check the valves out first thing in the AM and ill report back. thanks

Awesome, can't wait to hear how it goes

If it only runs on starting fluid, then you have a fuel problem.

My vote is:

The carburetor still needs a thorough cleaning, and the gas leaking out the overflow is a dead giveaway.

Get back in there, remove every jet and rubber part (including the fuel screw/spring/O-ring/washer), and clear every jet, passage, and orifice, and pay attention to the float valve needle and seat.

Set your fuel screw to 1.5 turns out for starters.

Edited by YZEtc