Sign in to follow this  

1991 Xr 250

Hey all, I am looking at buying a new bike and the older model xr's have really struck my interest. I have even been looking into the older xr 200's (late 80's) simply because its hard to find the 250's in this area. But i did find one that's about an hour trip from me, and it's in rough shape cosmetically. the plastics are sun bleached and the seat has a tear in it... but supposedly the thing runs fantastic. I'm trying to get some opinions on whether or not to snag this thing up for around $700.... and then throw some money into it and get some new plastics.. What do you guys think? yay or nay 

Ride on :ride:

Price out plastics for them on the web, they aren't cheap.

Ride it the way it is or save up some more money and get a more current and better bike. XRs are pigs.

but supposedly the thing runs fantastic.

99% chance bike is on original top end.

Offer less then he wants for it and just ride the hell out of it.  I wouldn't dump much money into it. 

• Like 1

another option would be a REALLY nice looking 1985 xr 200... seems to be mint condition.

Don't get me wrong the XR lines are great bikes.  My first bike was an XR.  That was 20 years ago.

That being said what is your reason for wanting this bike.  For a spare bike?  project bike?   main bike?  

If it is going to be your main bike then I would take a second and consider some other options along with keeping the XR in mind.  For example I bought a 11 year old 125cc two stroke MX bike for $1000.  You're willing to spend $700 on a 30 year old bike that has less power and weighs more.  $300 isn't much of difference when you consider how much better of a bike you can get.

If you just really want a XR from the 80s then that is cool too.  They are good bikes.  The majority of XRs you find are going to have a ton of hours on them.  No one wants to sell them because they just keep going.  When people sell them they have hundreds of hours on the engine since a freshen up (if they have ever had one).  I wouldn't be surprised if my XR had close to a 1000 hours on it when I sold it.  I had it from the age 12-17. 

On the other hand the bike I was telling you I paid $1000 for I do a top end job on it before it gets close to hitting 50 hours.

Edited by DirtSmoker250