Sign in to follow this  

California Moved to San Jose and need the right bike

So I just moved here from Atlanta and sold the ktm 300xc, it was a mistake so I need a new bike. I was able to ride at the local tracks and Hollister. The rides were ok but I miss the single track of Georgia. I was looking around and found a site that has all of the riding spots. In looking at the photos most of the bikes have lights and are tagged. Is this required? If so can I get a 300xcw? Any other bikes I should look for? Also where is the good single track located.

So I just moved here from Atlanta and sold the ktm 300xc, it was a mistake so I need a new bike. I was able to ride at the local tracks and Hollister. The rides were ok but I miss the single track of Georgia. I was looking around and found a site that has all of the riding spots. In looking at the photos most of the bikes have lights and are tagged. Is this required? If so can I get a 300xcw? Any other bikes I should look for? Also where is the good single track located.

You don't need lights or plated, although it's a HUGE benefit here.  You will NOT be able to get a smoker plated in CA at this point.  Your best bet and really only option are the plated 4 stroke KTM's (EXC) and Husky's (TE) at this point.  If you're buying used you MIGHT be able to find something else that got slipped thru the cracks at the DMV, but any legal converted and "plated" dirt bike is now 10+ years old.

Your bike registration choices :

Plated

Green Sticker (OHV only - ride all year long)

Red Sticker - ALL smokers reside here.  (OHV only - and ride only in regulated months - which months depend on the area, but generally winter/spring.)  There are a couple places where you can ride red sticker all year long, but I'm not sure about your area.

You will CONTINUE to miss the singletrack in GA.

The good stuff in your area is NOT on public maps, and resides in the foothills on the sierras.  Get involved in a club, and you will find out where.  You will not find out on this website.  As you can probably already tell, it's mostly filled with jokers and numbnuts.  

• Like 2

Bill,

Thanks, I will just get another 300 xc and find some locals to ride with.

Bill,

PM sent

You don't need lights or plated, although it's a HUGE benefit here.

Here??? Dafuq you talking about AZ resident?!?!?!

For a guy with so much dislike for the Ca. Forum you sure do post enough. &%$#@!in move on already!

• Like 2

Here??? Dafuq you talking about AZ resident?!?!?!

For a guy with so much dislike for the Ca. Forum you sure do post enough. &%$#@!in move on already!

Still got property here bro.  Sorry to break it to ya. :lol:  :lol:

Hate is not healthy for ya.  Get over it.

BTW, I didn't see you putting anything positive into this thread.  So what category does that put you into?

Edited by Bill_P
  • Like 1

In northern CA a plate and insurance is a huge plus.  The Sheriffs are patrolling back roads and trails these days with four wheeled UTV type OHVs dressed and armed like they are going to war with the Taliban or Nazis.  So…… you’d better watch out when trying to sneak around in the Sierra’s with a green or red sticker…..  Many of the FS roads and trails are legal, but many of the county roads are off limits.

Just a thought as you look for a new bike to ride out of the Bay Area…..  In the state park system anything with a sticker or plate is legal, but when out of the state parks, it pays to know where you are….

• Like 1

Still got property here bro. Sorry to break it to ya. :lol::lol:

Hate is not healthy for ya. Get over it.

BTW, I didn't see you putting anything positive into this thread. So what category does that put you into?

That's quite the deflection there...

That's quite the deflection there...

Again, why so upset that I helped a guy out.  Be happy.  Maybe go riding.   :thumbsup:   Or....be one of THOSE guys who are not helpful.   :facepalm:   Your choice.  It's really got nothing to do with me.

Again, why so upset that I helped a guy out. Be happy. Maybe go riding. :thumbsup: Or....be one of THOSE guys who are not helpful. :facepalm: Your choice. It's really got nothing to do with me.

What an absurd post... You have no idea what your talking about. Ramble on bp, your doing so well.

Bill,

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  You're welcome man.  I hope you can navigate the murky water here......

Welcome to NorCal!   

That 300 would be a perfect bike for our trails.  Keep you eyes on this board and you will see people post about upcoming rides (mostly trail, or woods as you east coasters say)   We do have some amazing riding but be prepared to drive a few hours to get to the good stuff.   As winter arrives and we get some rain you will see more rides happening.  

A couple of us are riding this weekend if you already have a bike

• Like 2

Getting another bike from my dealer back east. They have fair prices and know the bikes inside and out.

Welcome to California and SJ.  I just moved up here as well in Jan from So Cal (though I still live there too).  I brought my plated bike with me and I will be bring the 300 up as well next month.  I have hit the local Metcalf park after work to burn fuel. It is not a bad little park.  I can ride right from my office up there and back.  I am heading north this weekend (By Jackson) to do a DS ride into NV and back.  That is suppose to be a fun ride.  I have not linked up with anyone around this area yet, though I have a couple guys that work for me that ride and we will go out soon.  When you get your bike let me know and maybe we can get a ride in. What rough location in SJ are you?  I am sitting right around the 101 & 85.

There is a race put on by my club, Timekeepers MC, at Metcalf in early October.  We also put on a Family Enduro at Hollister Hills in the spring.

We are an enduro club that meets in San Jose once a month.  If you like trail riding, there are plenty of guys in the club who know where to ride in No. Cal.  We are not just racers...

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.  I live very close to Metcalf as well.

• Like 1