Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki gs250t - carb flooding?

So I have been helping a friend work on a 1980 gs250t. We had some battery problems, but after solving these we came to the realization that after the bike was run for a bit it started to spew gas on the ground from the overflow line. Stuck floats / float needles was of course our guess. Well, we took the carb apart, cleaned the needles and floats, the floats are actuating just fine. So where next? The bike does not leak while it is turned off. The bike starts fine, runs for about two minutes, then just loads up and dies with gas coming out the overflow. If you try to restart it at this point, it of course just turns, no catch. It leaks fuel for about 10 - 30 seconds, then quits. Leave it sit for about an hour, starts up again, same result. Any ideas? We are thinking about changing the needle valves and see if that changes anything. This, to me, is a confusing problem!

I have found sometimes that the drain valve leaks instead of the overflow line. its worth checking, tightening.

Ok I will look into it. I am not particularly familiar with this carb, or really carbs in general. What am I looking for with a drain valve?

Checked all of that. Still overflowing. As far as we can tell, the floats are operating normally. I was told it may be the needles are worn, but I am not really a carb expert so it is off to someone who knows carbs.