Sign in to follow this  

More PW 50 Help

After hours and hours of searching, it's brought me here. I'll try to sum it up as best as possible. My sons pw 50 was losing power, had 90 psi of compression which I was aware was on the low side yet no horrible. I opted for a 60 kit, put it together hearing a rattle noise immediately in the top end. Ran great but I upped the main jet to a 75. I also put a UNI pod filter on it, cleaned out carb, new plug BP4HS, assuming this was right. Ran great even with hearing the rattle noise for approx 45-50 minutes. Then ran some fun laps at local track, after about 10 minutes and after going over a big jump then accelerated in a straight, bike stalled, but fired right back up. Next lap, the bike did the same thing in same place and fired right back up. I'm at a loss, compression is around 105, I rejetted to a 72.5 thinking it may have something to do with it, cleaned carb again, both pilot and main jets good and clean now. Unplugged on/off safety feature,cleaned petcock, cleaned and oiled filter, new Boyesen reeds, and exhaust is clean and unrestricted, Anybody have anything else to check before next time out? I also removed the oil injection and went to premix since. Also I went to the plug that came with kit which is a nist brand E6.... Something. Just hoping someone can chime in with some advice or any similar problems and answers. Thanks

Well no replies but I'll add to my post and what I've found. The bike did it two more times, when accelerating in a prolonged straight usually and after about 10 minutes of riding. It smelled like it was hot. I just decided to check the oil, oil looked horrible, like chocolate dirty milk. Only thing I can think of I'd it sucked water between my pressure washing, new uni filter even though I thought it was covered, and when he rode in the rain once. I changed the oil twice now and it doesn't smell hot and doesn't stall. Apparently it's been overheating causing it to get hot. Unless this problems starts up again, the solution is to check the oil.

The first thing I would do is get rid of that 4 plug and put a colder plug in it.

Depending on what average temperature you are riding in.

I run a 8 in the summer 25-28c and a 6-7 in the winter 10-15c.

4 is far too hot for a modified engine that should be running on the lean side for best performance.

also get rid of the oil injection and run pre-mix at around 32:1 with good oil.

next put the stock reeds back in temporarily.

Lift the carb needle up to richer the mixture and start experimenting with the main jet size.

These bikes run really rich from the factory so I suggest you start with the stock main jet.

You haven't done enough to justify a larger main yet.

Keep me updated

Miller

I would also check your float level because if it is too low the bike will run lean and cut out on long straights.

sorry didn't see in your post that you are already running premix.

Miller