Sign in to follow this  

Selling my 2013 honda crf450 for a 2015 yz250f

As the title says, I have had a 2013 honda crf450. It's a 450....it's hard to ride, I am a weekend track rider, but after 5 laps on the 450 I am spent, looking to enjoy ridding again and although I like the 2015 honda...the yz250f look killer. Anyone have any insight on the 2015's yet or thoughts on the 2014. I have not ridden one but it looks great on transworld

Wanting to ride longer, faster and in theory, safer, are all great reasons to throttle down, but buying a bike based purely on a mag or even forum reviews could have better options. Is there a way for you to take a few laps on a local 14 or 15 yz250f? Obviously it takes a long time to dial a bike in with settings for you and not the guy/gal who currently owns it, but maybe you can get a quick sense of "wow, not the bike for me even though many like it."

Sometimes an easier to ride bike that allows you to go 10 laps vs 5 is just plain boring.

Are you a weekend track rider and racer who goes crazy fast and then drops anchor or has some serious get-offs due to the 450's power and weight?

Or is racing not in the picture and you merely want to minimize the recovery of pumped forearms and high heart rate while breathing heavily trackside while others keep riding?

Have you ridden a 250F on a track, in general? There is always a trade-off of going from 1 to the other. Yes, the YZ is a great 250F but it is still a 250F. It's really not gonna make anyone any better than if they were on any other brand 250F. You will have to work a little harder to get over obstacles than you would be able to do on your 450. So I would make sure you are sure you want to drop down to the smaller bike 100% firs. If you are sure of it, then yes, the YZ is a great bike. I haven't ridden a 15 but the 14 isn't much different. The only thing is, you have the perfect 450 for someone who doesn't need a hard-hitting, beast. The Honda is supposed to be the easiest to ride.Both good bikes though, your choice.

Thanks for the reply none of my friend ride so I am buying based on seat feel while at the dealership. I wish there was a company here in SoCal that for a fee would allow you to test all the bikes at the track. Like someone who buys all the 2015 250s and 450s and for $100 you could test 4 of them to see what's best. That would be great

Check around and see if Yamaha has a demo ride out your way.

10563086_929788333714616_259557291436685

I know this month there is one near me and we just had a KTM demo day at another nearby track. That would probably be your best bet. Plus, you can hop off of the YZ and back onto your CRF and feel the difference back to back. 

I went from a CRF450x to a 2014 YZ250f. I know the x is a bit different to you R however once set up are a potent offroad do it all bike. I miss the 450 power a little and how much less you have to shift compared to the 250f. The yam revs so quick you dance on the gear lever a bit more. In the corners is where I notice the most difference I can carry much higher corner speeds which is not suprising. I ride club M/X and enduros and would pick the 250 anyday over a 450. I'm also probably a little older than most people lining up on the start line so anything that is less taxing on the body is good. I nearly bought a 2014 run out crf450r this was my next choice, the air forks and small fuel tank and the fact is is a little more phycical to ride turned me to the Yam. At the end of the day I find the 250f easier.

MM