Sign in to follow this  

2005 CRF250X buying used

I ride 3 to 4 times a year in hard pack desert (5 to 6 hrs running time) Going to look at  2005 CRF250X that is suppose to have less than 60 miles on it. What should I look out for on this bike? I am a 55 yr old ride do that has ridden for many yrs, average desert rider - do you guys think this bike would be a fit? (came off a CRF450R - sick of starting the bike). Thoughts?

Thanks

I ride 3 to 4 times a year in hard pack desert (5 to 6 hrs running time) Going to look at  2005 CRF250X that is suppose to have less than 60 miles on it. What should I look out for on this bike? I am a 55 yr old ride do that has ridden for many yrs, average desert rider - do you guys think this bike would be a fit? (came off a CRF450R - sick of starting the bike). Thoughts?

Thanks

I don't understand the desire to switch from a 450R to a 250X. What do you mean about sick of starting it?  Kicking it?  If I were lookin for a dez bike and looking Honda I'd want a 450X. I think a 250 is too small.

I wonder where the 05 has been all this time if its go 60 miles.  If thats true, the oil should be pretty damn clear. Pull out the dipstick and take a look. The tires should look new too, but I'll bet they're all dried out and won't last. Last I remember, the 04 and 05s had worse valve problems than the 06 and newer but they go out on all of em and the fix is the same (stainless).

The 250 can be a bit of a trick to start cuz its a cold blooded bike. If it won't start at all, then perhaps the valves are done and someone is not being truthful by saying its got 60 miles.

Look in the air filter box. See if its real dirty. If it is, or if anything doesn't look like 60 miles, I'd walk away cuz they are lying to you and therefore trying to hide something. You don't know. Perhaps the bike was ran with no oil?  You can't tell that by just looking from the outside.

Look at the frame and see how much boot rub there is. Are there alot of scratches on the bike?  How do the grips look? The chain should not be worn if its essentially new.

Twang the spokes. Are they nice n tight?  Do the lights work?  Any oil running down the fork tubes or off the shock?  Hows the suspension feel?  Look at the brake pads. They shouldn't  be worn out on a new bike.

Before you start it, presuming it hasn't already been ran, take a look in the radiator and see if the coolant is fresh.

• Like 1

Response likely too far down the road to do you much good, but...  I own a '13 250x. Prior to buying this bike, I let myself get lured to a dealership 6 hrs away with a late model, "...less than 50 mile" bike.  Got there, and with a glance it was obvious the bike had WELL over 50 miles...no doubt.  It had been ridden hard & "...put up wet".  Rear tire had maybe 30% tread left.  The 250x does not have an odometer...only a trip meter (which is hard to imagine).  The tripmeter is what lead to my personal fiasco.  All I can say is...be careful. 

The 250x is a superb trail bike.  However, my impression of desert riding is more flat out running.  If that's the case, you WILL be looking for a 6th gear in the 250.  If my impression of desert riding is anywhere close to accurate, I'd echo Dave's advice.  Buy the 450x.

We have both 250's and 450's- and for the wide open desert (I am referring to Mojave, JV, Ocotillo, etc) I would choose the 450 over a 250.

you cant go wrong with the "x" model. I have heard that the 05 had some valve problems. ask the guy how often he did oil changes and what not. look at the oil filter and the teeth on the sprockets. That can tell you how much it was ridden. you will fit the 250 but if you ride in the desert I would recommend the 450x since in flat out desert you tend to go pretty fast

• Like 1