Sign in to follow this  

carabiner for tie downs?

Hey,

Im looking to replace the hooks on my straps with carabiner style. 

Does anybody know where to get some good carabiner clips for tow straps?

Thanks

Sherrilltree.com

Its where I get my climbing supplies.

Edited by ridngslikecrack

Good to know. I picked up 4 of these.... I like the lock and the price was ok compared to other caribiners ive seen for sale.

http://www.amazon.com/Lockstraps-801-Locking-Carabiner/dp/B005XZQH9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1407171991&sr=8-1&keywords=lockstraps+801

I'm not trying to be rude or a smartass. Just an observation how are you going to connect it to your straps the end the strap would go on looks like it's welded solid.

I'm not trying to be rude or a smartass. Just an observation how are you going to connect it to your straps the end the strap would go on looks like it's welded solid.

Loop it thru where the original hooks were..... or loop it to the circle base of the original hook. Or cut the strap and sew it or put rivits on like the straps that they make.  

Havent decided yet... Plenty of options. I dont plan on using the welded section... I wanted the locks though

Edited by socali-250

Loop it thru where the original hooks were..... or loop it to the circle base of the original hook. Or cut the strap and sew it or put rivits on like the straps that they make.

Havent decided yet... Plenty of options. I dont plan on using the welded section... I wanted the locks though

if your not planning on using the welded section I would cut it off and loop it through where the original hook was so the strap will pull against the bottom not the corner

im still gunna grab some from the hardware store like the one you posted. How much did those set you back? And were they the heaviest duty there?

im still gunna grab some from the hardware store like the one you posted. How much did those set you back? And were they the heaviest duty there?

They were around 5bucks a pice I think they weren't the heaviest ones but at a 400 lbs working load one could hold more than the weight of my bike hanging in the air so they are plenty strong enough. They are actually stronger than the working load on the straps but I wanted the added security.